Smokey smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rideboard147

Feb 2, 2011
Weatherford Texas (DFW)
I am getting a pretty good dose of a smokey smell coming out of the heat exchange blowers into the room. I don't see smoke just a burning smokey smell. This is is not during start up its durning regular burning operation. Any thoughts? I clean the stove often and pull the heat exchange rods once a day. I have a quad freestanding Castile. It's raining heavy today and I'm not sure if the rain blowing into the vertical cap could be causing this? BTW Merry Christmas everyone!

How are the exchange tubes sealed? Are they welded on both ends?

My Classic Bay is only welded on the top (where air exits). The bottom of the tubes are sealed with High temp Silicone.

The convection blower needs to be removed on mine, then a plenum that directs the air into the tubes, needs to be removed. Then the old silicone needs removed, and then new silicone needs applied, plenum put back on, and finally convention blower put back on.

Dont know if yours is the same way, but its possible? It may be that, or check with a flashlight and see if you have a hole in one of your exchange tubes??

Status
Not open for further replies.