Strange smell indoors with Ultra Premium AWF pellets burning in Harman XXV-TC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cd201

Jan 28, 2020
Dillsburg PA
Hi there.

We had a small yellowish smokey maelstrom happen in the very outside portion of our vent pipe (basically the cap) which prompted a total cleanout of our Harman XXV-TC stove just two days ago. Went and bought about 10 bags of Ultra Premium White Pine pellets from American Wood Fibers (we had been using Energex), which we've been burning for two days now with nice, flawless heat and no issues.

Today, however, I started to notice a weird smell that made me run all around the house looking for something that was on fire. It didn't smell like smoke, more like an electric fire smell. It was coming from the blower on our Harman XXV-TC and now that I've shut down the stove the smell has gone away. Has anyone experienced this smell and should I be worried? What should I check? Last thing I want is a house fire this Christmas! Thanks very much for any suggestions on how to proceed.

Pos an overheated blower motor remove and clean with compressed air

Possibly some plastic pellet bag or other foreign matter made it's way into the stove.

Pos an overheated blower motor remove and clean with compressed air
Thanks for this idea. If the blower motor was overheating wouldn't the blower stop working? Just wondering how to tell if that's the diagnosis without necessarily shutting everything down again.

Possibly some plastic pellet bag or other foreign matter made it's way into the stove.
Considering this too. Weird that it didn't smell that way before (so, maybe this one bag did it) and also there's no apparent smell outside - just indoors. I put my nose down by the fan and I can smell it there.

When was the last time the motor and cage were cleaned
If the motor is on its way out and you shut it down before it stopped
or just something on the windings or the vents for the windings

When was the last time the motor and cage were cleaned
If the motor is on its way out and you shut it down before it stopped
or just something on the windings or the vents for the windings
The motor was cleaned two seasons ago. The stove is brand new as of october 2020. We cleaned it after that first season burning. This is our third season, just starting it.

Depending on how many bags of pellets are used the stove
should have a complete teardown and clean once a year
Just a suggestion read your manual !!

You have to watch anything that comes from AWF. I’ve had pieces of rags to half metal bearings come from their bags. Luckily enough to catch these items in the hopper before it was too late. No AWF for me.