HARMAN XXV Questions ????????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

savage dog

Dec 16, 2010
mass
Hi everyone~~I have a Harman xxv made in may 2009. I'm using 3 inch vent pipe with the vent pipe going two feet straight out the wall, then going up 5 feet. All joints are sealed. I also have 3 inch pipe bringing in clean air from the outside. My house is a well insulated 1800 sq ft cape cod style home. The stove is cleaned every two days. I use LG premium softwood pellets made from black spruce and grey pine. BTU/lb is 7765, moisture content is 6.97%, ash level is 0.38%. THe stove runs great, but i want peak efficiency while using the least amount of pellets and i have other questions you may be able to answer. How big of a fuel use difference is there if you run it at 75 degrees as opposed to 65 degrees? Don't you want a minimum feed rate from the feed adjuster so your using minimum fuel and maximum speed from your distribution blower so you blow as much hot air into the room as possible while maintaining the temp setting you want, and how is this accomplished. Should you turn your igniter switch to auto to get the stove going then flip it to manual so it goes to low burn when you don't need a lot of heat so your igniter won't have to keep going on and off all day or will this use significantly more fuel? I heard their may be a problem with igniters not lasting or is that due to not cleaning the igniter area under the burn pot enough or being to rough with the igniter when cleaning? When their is ash buildup at the top end of the burn pot does that cut down on efficiency? I run my distribution blower at about 65%, with the temp dial on 62 degrees and the feed adjuster on 4. If i turn the distribution blower to 100% to blow more hot air into the room will that require me to turn up the feed rate, and why wouldn't you want the blower at 100%, isn't hot air being wasted up the vent if it's not at it's max setting? I ran it at the 65%-62 degrees- feed on 4 setting last year for the first season and after the season was over i pulled the distribution blower and feeder body and cleaned the stove and pipes and everything was not that dirty. How do you decide weather to use room temp mode or stove temp mode? Do you really need to do a low draft voltage adjustment with a draft meter if your bringing in outside air? I did the installation myself and didn't do that process. Will it make a big difference if i do? What is the purpose of the holes on the burn pot surface that i keep clean? Does the stove self adjust the feed rate for any reason or is it not capable of that? If your using room temp mode and the stove goes to low burn because it's reached the temp you've set it to and the feeder is still feeding at the same rate, isn't that just wasting all the heat up the flue till it calls for more heat again? And what is the pattern of air feeding the fire circulated throughout the stove as it comes in from the outside? Sorry for so many questions, the stove is running well but i just want to use the stove in the most efficient manner. Any help on these questions will be most appreciated. Thank you~~Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

wow, lots of words......lets begin....at the beginning

the amount of pellets you use between 65 and 75 has more to do with the outside temp and heat loss than the stove....so no real working number for that one.
tweaking the feed adjuster indirectly controls how many pellets are actually fed into the unit, relative to what you've asked and the temp at ESP probe (best to leave it alone at #4ish and ignore it IMO)
the dist blower doesn't change the amount of energy being created just the volume of air being moved over the heat exchanger, increase for greater dispersion.
you can tunr the stove to manual after ignition to eliminate the off/on cycle and this should increase your igniter longevity.
igniter USUALLY dies from lack of cleaning, but dies on some even if they do clean it.
ash on the lip wont do much other than look like ash on the lip, can mess with the flame pattern, but not much effect on efficiency in general (unless its really bad)
room temp/stove temp is personal preference
the dist blower and the comb blower are not connected, the volume of combustion air is fixed to the volume of pellets being consumed (as monitored by ESP probe)
the heat you think is being "wasted" up the flue is necessary for proper combustion
the holes in the burnpot allow air to fuel the combustion, they are essential and important to keep clean.
In Room Temp, the stove manages all adjustemnts for you, no worries.

may have missed something, sorry. I can clarify any of this if it makes no sense.

I have the same stove, same year. my stove has to be set over 67 or it will cycle on and off. Ive found if I leave it at a set temp and dont chage it I conserve pellets. I heat my whole cape of 2000 sqft with about 2 bags of pellets a day in the dead of winter. I keep it at 70 all the time. If I turn it down at night and crank it up in the morning I seem to burn more pellets. Nothing scientific, just what works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.