Smokum if you gotum Harmon smokes up room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GTO

Jan 2, 2021
Jasper Missouri
Had this Harmon installed a while back and thought they did everything right but smell smoke in the room. They installed an air box as well In the line but claimed if they went up with the stack they couldn’t go at an angle and would have to go through the deck, then the roof. Since I have a cat door in the window close to the stove pipe I think a vacuum is pulling smoke through that door into the room. My question is could I put an elbow of some type to get the pipe 1) longer, 2) away from the area under the deck?
89CC3C97-A262-4B04-ACFE-563D865D8FB8.jpeg 216C4DAB-60AE-44B4-B9DA-C591CFCE248C.jpeg EE34C82D-49DA-4E9A-A140-0B9845C131CD.jpeg D73D72B2-883B-4E72-82A1-75D8A6BE0D7C.jpeg 887FB20E-966B-488C-87B5-414179D1D48E.jpeg

I'd suspect a leak in the vent pipe between the stove and the wall. In a darkened room using a strong flashlight and your nose you might see where it's leaking.

Ummmm....is your stove on a hearth? That looks like carpet underneath it

Good idea but already used the flashlight. I am almost sure it’s being pulled back through the window...I can smell it at the window cat door.

Yes, it’s on a metal hearth

My question was could I put a longer pipe with enough bend to get it out from under the deck and would it help or hinder the draw?

Thanks

If you are outside do you smell smoke when you stand
by the cat door?
Outside with a north-west wind, the smell sweeps under my porch roof
the chimney is 30 ft away and exits 3 ft above a single story roof
You smell it on the South - East side of my home neg pressure zone in a north-west wind

Why don't you do a draft test with a smoke pen around the cat door

I’m sure it’s coming in. I can put my nose by the cat door on the inside and smell the smoke . My real question is about the stack arrangement
Thanks

it looks like there is an oak in the 1 pic it should be drawing its air from outside. so it shouldn't be drawing anything in the cat door.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I'd figure on some how moving extending that vent so it's not under the deck. There is a EVL formula, elbows, tees straight, for your stove . Is that pipe 3 inch then to 4 inch outside ?

I'd figure on some how moving extending that vent so it's not under the deck. There is a EVL formula, elbows, tees straight, for your stove . Is that pipe 3 inch then to 4 inch outside ?
I’ll check tomorrow and let you know. I know the inside pipe is smaller than the outside pipe

outside air kit

I wish the photos had a bit more light

Had this Harmon installed a while back and thought they did everything right but smell smoke in the room. They installed an air box as well In the line but claimed if they went up with the stack they couldn’t go at an angle and would have to go through the deck, then the roof. Since I have a cat door in the window close to the stove pipe I think a vacuum is pulling smoke through that door into the room. My question is could I put an elbow of some type to get the pipe 1) longer, 2) away from the area under the deck?
View attachment 271006 View attachment 271007 View attachment 271008 View attachment 271009 View attachment 271010

View attachment 271005
Post a couple pics standing back so we can see the outside set up. It is hard to tell what is going on in the last pic.

Who installed this for you? It looks like you don't have the 48" requirement from any operable windows. The make shift wall outside does not count as a separation between the termination vent and your window.

Referring to your last picture. If you take and add a 45* elbow to just above your cleanout tee and point it towards the corner of the house. Then add in 4' section of pipe and another 45* elbow to bring it back up vertically. This would hopefully offset the pipe so it would clear the porch above. Then you could add more pipe going up straight and terminate it well away from any window or door.

You need to follow your owners manual / installation guide. This will tell you your clearances, allowed venting lengths, etc.

Who installed this for you? It looks like you don't have the 48" requirement from any operable windows. The make shift wall outside does not count as a separation between the termination vent and your window.

Referring to your last picture. If you take and add a 45* elbow to just above your cleanout tee and point it towards the corner of the house. Then add in 4' section of pipe and another 45* elbow to bring it back up vertically. This would hopefully offset the pipe so it would clear the porch above. Then you could add more pipe going up straight and terminate it well away from any window or door.

You need to follow your owners manual / installation guide. This will tell you your clearances, allowed venting lengths, etc.
Just what I wanted to know as long as you think it will “draw” alright....that was my concern

BTW it was installed by Nina hardware in Nina Missouri, an authorized dealer, yep

Yes, do feral cat rescue as well, hence the outside cages. But here’s additional pictures

Attachments

• Smokum if you gotum Harmon smokes up room
    3A7F6FBC-F34D-4F3E-BAC1-DBCF12585816.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 109
    966F16AB-E737-4C44-B9BF-F371CA0FFA97.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 103
    541FBFFD-9686-4282-B7F9-FD3644DBF0EC.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 104
    72C40AF8-E3AC-49E3-AA30-5D39E644524E.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 98
    E22086EA-0F59-4171-9F82-1E5536026238.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 93
BTW it was installed by Nina hardware in Nina Missouri, an authorized dealer, yep

Nixa hardware? If so they are a very reputable dealer

Multiple issues here IMO. Pipe needs to be extended out from under the deck, but that creates other issues with clearances. Away from window and the pet door. You mention "draw". It draws from the OAK, but as you extend the vent pipe it creates a longer exhaust path ( draft) which the specs & equation are listed in install manual, EVL - Equivalent Vent Length.....Also if that is carpeting under the stove it needs floor protection..
Thanks for doing the feral cat rescue...

Last edited:
Multiple issues here IMO. Pipe needs to be extended out from under the deck, but that creates other issues with clearances. Away from window and the pet door. You mention "draw". It draws from the OAK, but as you extend the vent pipe it creates a longer exhaust path ( draft) which the specs & equation are listed in install manual, EVL - Equivalent Vent Length.....Also if that is carpeting under the stove it needs floor protection..
Thanks for doing the feral cat rescue...
Thanks you can’t see it from the angle but the stove actually sits on a metal raised plate (hearth)
I’ll look into the exhaust path length but at 76 most of this kind of stuff just makes my eyes kinda glaze over!
What I could see would be 45 over to the wall, which would be out from under the deck and then up about 4 feet...we will see
The install was done like this when Nina hardware saw to go up straight they would have to go through the deck floor, then through the deck ceiling and out the roof! About 30 ft!

Got it on platform , missed it.. sounds like a plan...!!!!

Copied from manual for floor protection. I don't know if the metal base plate covers these requirements.

1609723411189.png

Just remember that if the unit is not installed to manufacturer's recommendations, if you have a fire, your insurance company has could refuse to pay because it was not installed properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shrewboy