Smokum if you gotum Harmon smokes up room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It lists Harman cast iron floor protector as OK...

I fixed up one of the photos and you can see it

Attachments

• Smokum if you gotum Harmon smokes up room
    DE4E1BB7-6C16-43FA-BF17-1509D69C438A.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 80
It lists Harman cast iron floor protector as OK...

Cast iron is not the issue, the size of it is.

I work as an electrician and was at a house that had an Accentra with the metal base like this and I did not think that it extended far enough to cover Harman's requirements for floor protection. I mentioned this to the owner and they said that the dealer installed it that way so it should be right. Just because a dealer does the install, doesn't mean that they followed all of the requirements for it being installed properly. (I really hate to say it, but it does happen. Saves costs for the buyer and the seller. ) Just wanted to point it out to be sure the install is correct in case anything would ever happen.

States "floor protector that extends a minimum of 6 inch to front of load door opening".........."or a Harman Cast Iron Floor Protector" .
I know it doesn't seem far enough, but that's what it states as OK for install

Reactions: Former Farmer
Had this Harmon installed a while back and thought they did everything right but smell smoke in the room. They installed an air box as well In the line but claimed if they went up with the stack they couldn’t go at an angle and would have to go through the deck, then the roof. Since I have a cat door in the window close to the stove pipe I think a vacuum is pulling smoke through that door into the room. My question is could I put an elbow of some type to get the pipe 1) longer, 2) away from the area under the deck?
I think the breeze is moving exhaust from the vent termination to the cat door. being under the over hang doesn't help. I'd extend the vertical section up, maybe throw in a 45, get the termination cap out from under the overhang and above the level of the cat door, hot air rises you know.

I'd also want the floor protection under the stove to extend at least a foot out in front of the stove. Maybe codes & manufacturer only require or suggest 6" but that's not a limit. The under stove protects when the stove is running, but there are times when someone will have a door open and hot particles can sometimes just find their way out. I'd have the floor behind the stove under the exhaust outlet all the way into the corner covered as well as the 6 or more inches to the sides. Could be a wooden base with thin pavers & mortar under the iron you have ... or instead of same.

271032-aa519d8a39eefafcc343c04399717568.jpg

Last edited:
I think the breeze is moving exhaust from the vent termination to the cat door. being under the over hang doesn't help. I'd extend the vertical section up, maybe throw in a 45, get the termination cap out from under the overhang and above the level of the cat door, hot air rises you know.

I'd also want the floor protection under the stove to extend at least a foot out in front of the stove. Maybe codes & manufacturer only require or suggest 6" but that's not a limit. The under stove protects when the stove is running, but there are times when someone will have a door open and hot particles can sometimes just find their way out. I'd have the floor behind the stove under the exhaust outlet all the way into the corner covered as well as the 6 or more inches to the sides. Could be a wooden base with thin pavers & mortar under the iron you have ... or instead of same.

View attachment 271264
I agree that there should be more hearth protection that just the base. But you have a air gap, then cast iron then a air gap then cast iron. I would at least have a fire proof hearth rug out in front of the stove. But if you think about it, pellet vent is 2 layers of very thin metal w/ a 1/4" air gap and it is 1" clearance to combustible?

Looks like 3 inch pipe to 4 inch at the tee, so extending it, and going at 45 then vertical should be OK..

I agree that there should be more hearth protection that just the base. But you have a air gap, then cast iron then a air gap then cast iron. I would at least have a fire proof hearth rug out in front of the stove. But if you think about it, pellet vent is 2 layers of very thin metal w/ a 1/4" air gap and it is 1" clearance to combustible?
Oh, I was just thinking of those times when the stove is running and I might scrape my burn pot or take the ash pan out to dump it safely, that opens the fire box area to the room, hot embers can drop out. With stove closed, I wouldn't be concerned other than directly underneath as the stove does have short legs. Even when dumping the ash pan, I close that ash door for the 2 minutes I might have it out. I mentioned having my hearth extend to the wall behind because I know the stuff that accumulates back there, fines and pellets and just dust from hopper loadings ... and carpet holds that stuff too well.

An idea I had reading through this, is the cat door a high quality one?

I have seen newer cat doors that have strong magnets near the top, so that the door seals completely airtight once the cat has moved through it.

Maybe that would help with the smoke coming back in? Just an idea, good luck!!