Smooth wall liner Vs Regular . Is this a real improvement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I need 25 ft chimney liner that going to be well insulated, goes from basement through interior masonry chimney. Is it worth to upgrade to smooth wall liner? They say smooth wall will decrease drag by 20 percent. Is this true or just a sale pitch?

Last edited:
I've read on this site to stay away from smooth wall- too easy to damage during install. i think you meant to say it decreases drag.

I've read on this site to stay away from smooth wall- too easy to damage during install. i think you meant to say it decreases drag.
My bad , Yeah, decrease drag. Actually, I installed smooth liner upstairs and damaged it twice dragging through smoke shelf. Good thing, I had some extra length to make up for it.

If you are talking for a furnace or water heater, 15% for Oil and 20% better draft with Gas Appliances

I installed smooth wall way back when. The inside laminations opened up during uncoiling and the openings trapped creosote like crazy. After one season I pulled it and tossed it in the woods and replaced it with single wall.

Avoid it. I had smooth wall installed on both of my stoves, and I regret it, now. Installer connected stove pipe to smooth wall with typical sheet metal screws, and it has caused the inner wall to start un-raveling. I have switched both over to a proper stovepipe / liner adaptor, but the damage is done, and I’m going to have to replace it someday soon. Seeing as my draft is already way over nominal, I should’ve just gone with standard liner.

I don't use it with wood, the smooth-wall doesn't stay smooth after it is brushed, the inside begins to pucker

Reactions: bholler and Dmitry
If you went with a heavy wall liner, that would be smoother than the more traditional single wall liners. You would also have a more durable liner. I had the light 2 ply (smoothwall) liner you are referring to and it worked ok for the few yrs I had it but I can see where they’d have issue bc that inner wall is very thin. I had it replaced bc that install was a bit of a hack job overall. The heavy wall will be a bit more expensive but honestly not a big deal. Definitely insulate whatever liner you get.

Last edited:
I don't know if there's a smooth-wall that isn't two-ply, but two-ply is to be avoided.
Unless you are pushing the limits of what the stove maker wants for minimum height, I wouldn't worry about it and I would get heavy liner. 25'? No problem.

I don't know if there's a smooth-wall that isn't two-ply, but two-ply is to be avoided.
Unless you are pushing the limits of what the stove maker wants for minimum height, I wouldn't worry about it and I would get heavy liner. 25'? No problem.
Heavy wall and midweight are both smoothwalls and they are very durable . They are defiantly an upgrade

Heavy wall and midweight are both smoothwalls and they are very durable . They are defiantly an upgrade
Is" 316 stainless steel .005 in thickness" single wall considered heavy weight liner?

The Heavy weight Smoothwall is .015 Thickness 304L or 316L
The Hybrid Smoothwall is .010 Thickness and also comes in 304L or 316L

Reactions: bholler
Is" 316 stainless steel .005 in thickness" single wall considered heavy weight liner?
Nope that is light wall double d is right

Nope that is light wall double d is right
Would you recommend getting thicker one?, even for part time use. It's 25 foot long and has one 45ish degree elbow in a middle.

Would you recommend getting thicker one?, even for part time use. It's 25 foot long and has one 45ish degree elbow in a middle.
For part time use on a modern woodstove the midweight will do fine. Light wall will work but personally I really prefer the heavier liners. We will not install light wall for wood.

For part time use on a modern woodstove the midweight will do fine. Light wall will work but personally I really prefer the heavier liners. We will not install light wall for wood.
Let me make sure . So .006 single wall is light weight. And Single wall .013 is mid weight. Right ?

Let me make sure . So .006 single wall is light weight. And Single wall .013 is mid weight. Right ?
.005 or .006 is lightwall. Midweight is usually around .010 .And heavy wall is .015 or .016. I haven't heard of any .013 so I don't know what that is. Lightwall is corregated with a crimped seam. Mid and heavy wall are a continuous interlocking joint.

Yes 304 is fine
Just curious. Why majority of online retailer offer their .006 liner as a primary choice? Some, like Rockford Chimney , don't have any other choice than .006.

Just curious. Why majority of online retailer offer their .006 liner as a primary choice? Some, like Rockford Chimney , don't have any other choice than .006.
It is cheaper so they sell more of it. The same reason they don't bother to tell you to insulate. It adds cost and complexity reducing their sales. By the way the regular corregated light wall liner is fine. It won't last as long as the heavy wall which is why we don't use it but it works.

It is cheaper so they sell more of it. The same reason they don't bother to tell you to insulate. It adds cost and complexity reducing their sales. By the way the regular corregated light wall liner is fine. It won't last as long as the heavy wall which is why we don't use it but it works.
Thank you for all your help. Is Heavy weight liner significantly less flexible? I'm worry about going trough two 45 degree elbows in a middle of my chimney.