Snow and Bone Chilling -4 Deg F Artic Air coming this weekend - Will u need Backup heat? What Kind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Forcast is - 4 Degrees F for Monday Morning - Will you just heat with Just wood pellets?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Looks like Ch. 9 updated the forecast for a new low of 11 Deg F for Monday morning. See chart below.

Turning up the pellet stove to medium heat level 3 for Severe Weather Alert tonight!

Southern Coos County

Wind Chill Advisory:

Issued at: 6:56 PM EST 2/12/12, expires at: 8:00 AM EST 2/13/12

Wind chill advisory in effect until 8 am est Monday.
The NWS in gray has issued a wind chill advisory, which is in effect until 8 am est Monday.
Locations, northern New Hampshire.
Hazard types, dangerous wind chills.
Wind chill readings, as low as 28 below.
Timing, through 8 am Monday morning.
Impacts, exposed skin may be prone to frostbite.
Winds, west 5 to 15 mph.
Temperatures, 11 below to 5 above zero.
Precautionary/preparedness actions,
A wind chill advisory means that very cold air and strong winds will combine to generate low wind chills. This will result in frost bite and lead to hypothermia if precautions are not taken. If you must venture outdoors, make sure you wear a hat and gloves.

Attachments

• 02102012+11DegForcast.jpg
    02102012+11DegForcast.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 194
Another bust of a forecast. In the colder part of my rather sprawling town it made it down to 1°F this morning, here it was 7.5°F it did get down to 1.7 °F yesterday mid evening but was at 2.8 °F at 11:45 PM .

Hello

Yes, Smokey Maybe the TV boosts the numbers in the original forecast to boost their ratings!!!! At least they do try to make amends in their updates!

Well the low was 12.4 Deg F in my area last night from the memory in my digital Thermometer. So the latest updated Ch. 9 TV forecast was 11 Deg F which was closeer than some web sites that do not get updated!!

I did have to go up to heat level 4 for a while last night because the wind chill made it below zero. That wind did make it more drafty!

My backup heat is now a wood eater instead of oil and it provides more heat than the pellet stove for 1/3 the price. Go figure. :)

Took a pellet break since Sat night, stove ready to go. Have to use some of my oil or the fungus will get it.
Hard to beat 80K BTU furnace that will put out 1200 CFM at 140 F.

Heated all season on pellets. Unfortunately, my hot water is heated by oil. I will change that over in a month or so.

No problem unless it gets windy. The XXV can keep it at 70 degrees downstairs then I installed 2 thru the wall fans in the ceiling between downstairs and the bedrooms upstairs which heat the upstairs to about 67 degrees or so. a boost of about seven or eight degrees. The only time I use oil is to boost the temp on real cold mornings. I figure a tank of oil should last three or four years now.

My T6 is my backup or more accurately my supplement to the St. Croix. Cannot be comfortable in our 172 year old house with just one stove going either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.