Snowblower Stuck In Gear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wow how did you find that utube! I think it's spot on! I want to listen to it a few times and it might just steer me in a different (and hopefully cheaper direction!

He described my problem perfectly when he mentioned the tilt on the drive plate and hard to change speed during forward motion.
The bushing seems to be the culpret! Thank you for sharing that video!

Last edited:
Yup no problem hope it helps...

He made good points, that sometimes its not obvious what the problem is. I think mine fits that situation.
BTW, I am looking into moving to WNY. I used to live in Rochester and loved it even with all the snow!

Rochester is a great city, used to live there too.. Now I'm in the middle between Rochester and Buffalo. Hopefully within a year moving up to St Lawrence River area. I just finished up just in time today, rebuilding the drive assembly on my friends snow blower. Has power turn with planetary gears on each end of wheel shaft for power turn, that was a pain....Been getting good at telling people no for repairs but couldn't do that to him !! Another storm coming.
Post how you make out if you do it now or later..

I will post an update later for sure and keep this ancient thread going for the next poor guy. Will try to milk it through this winter first and wait till Spring/Summer for the repair. The machine works fine if I keep it at low speeds.

Nice of you to work on that machine, sounds like a challenge. Now that is true Upstate NY- St. Lawrence River area.

I have a question on my Ariens 8524. After having a new foundation put under our barn our nicely gravel packed driveway got a covered with excess project gravel this October. I packed that in by driving, picked out anything loose and raised the blower’s skids. After this last storm I still managed to hit rocks going by the woodshed. I should have shut it down kept when it sprayed rocks but it happened fast. The front unit started shaking and making noise. Turning it over with help and the plug out it almost sounds like a rock might be grinding behind the impeller which looked clear. Is that possble or likely? I’m guessing I will need to pull the front unit off to get at that.

Yes it is possible there is a stone or rock behind the impeller. Problem is getting it out of there, without removing the whole front assembly. You'll have to separate the front housing from the main unit.. Then usually the problem is the bearing behind the impeller, the shaft gets frozen in the bearing..highly doubt that there is any free play back and forth, in the impeller /shaft assembly to free that ..

Yes it is possible there is a stone or rock behind the impeller. Problem is getting it out of there, without removing the whole front assembly. You'll have to separate the front housing from the main unit.. Then usually the problem is the bearing behind the impeller, the shaft gets frozen in the bearing..highly doubt that there is any free play back and forth, in the impeller /shaft assembly to free that ..
Thanks gfreek, this looked like a job for the local Ariens shop so I wimped out and brought it there today.

Thanks gfreek, this looked like a job for the local Ariens shop so I wimped out and brought it there today.
There is no shame in crying "Uncle" when you need to! I try hard not to but sometimes you just have to get help.

Reactions: Max W
I will post an update later for sure and keep this ancient thread going for the next poor guy. Will try to milk it through this winter first and wait till Spring/Summer for the repair. The machine works fine if I keep it at low speeds.
I have an update to my "snowblower wont stop" problem. Out of desperation, I liberally sprayed the Hex shaft below the drive plate with silicon. This is the area where it slides into the bushing. The snowblower now stops on a dime even in high gear!

I'm afraid this may just be a "bandaid" since the real problem is probably the worn bushing.

I hate tearing the driveline apart now that it's working. I think I will wait to see if the problem returns before deciding to rip into it.

Last edited:
Thats great , good to hear..I use this on my Snow removal equipment, seems to help, maybe also in your or other similar situations.

Sno&Ice.jpg

Thats great , good to hear..I use this on my Snow removal equipment, seems to help, maybe also in your or other similar situations.

View attachment 292191
This stuff would have come in handy during our last icy/wet crappy mix of slush. We seem to be getting more and more of that type storm over the years and it clogs the chute.