So i finally got some pellets delivered, but are they pellets or horse bedding??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tundraSQ

Oct 7, 2006
The bag says woody pet horse bedding and they come in 30lb bags......anyone know anythign about these? They look odd and feel kind of funny....very soft and not uniform in color

Deffy said:
nevermind, i found the url for woody pet. these are not wood stove pellets but they are super dry compressed sawdust. it might work. heres the url http://www.woodypet.com/horse.html

its main selling point is how good it absorbs urine! so dont take a leak on your pellets or they will get like 20 times their size. :)

I should probably buy a bag or two for when I am in the basement and don't feel like walking upstairs to use the bathroom.

I just called the place that sold them to me and they claim:

That they are northernlite pellets in woodypet bags.....i asked her if she would call the distributor and get the real story and call me back. :-0

Woody Pet is a premier horse bedding, the first company that I am aware of that used pellet technology to produce a fine sawdust bedding. The difference between stove pellets and bedding pellets is primarily that horses cannot tolerate hardwoods, walnut in particular can cause severe problems just from the animal standing around on it. So bedding pellets have to be softwood only. OTOH, stove pellets can be hard or softwood, but the consistency is more important. I'm not sure about the ash content, certainly the fines in Woody Pet would likely be messy in the stove - they are small pellets with LOTS of fines.

I use both bedding pellets (in the barn) and stove pellets (in the stove) - the prices are about the same now, but even with a price differential I would try not to mix them up.

I always have to laugh when I see them at the barn my girlfriend keeps her horse at. I wonder if these barns have had trouble getting their bedding this season?

tundraSQ said:

That they are northernlite pellets in woodypet bags.....i asked her if she would call the distributor and get the real story and call me back. :-0

here's the email for NorthernLites Fire Fuels....I'd write to them and ask if they sell their pellets the way your "dealer" said.....sounds fishy to me.

[email protected]

Sounds fishy to me too. IMHO I would not use them without a written
letter from the manufacturer/distributor at the least.

Burning any pellets distributed in bedding bags would leave a big loophole
in your warranty if your stove acts up in any way while using them.

macman said:
tundraSQ said:

here's the email for NorthernLites Fire Fuels....I'd write to them and ask if they sell their pellets the way your "dealer" said.....sounds fishy to me.

[email protected]

Agreed.

It sounds like somebody's got some 'splainin' to do...

Tundra, how much did you pay for your 30lb bags by the way?

I have burned 25 bags of Northern Lights in the actual Northern Lights 40 lb bags. They are softwood. If you took a picture, I might be able to see if they look like the ones I have. I have noted there seems to be 2 batches that I have. One batch has very light colored, longer pellets, and the other batch has darker pellets that are more broken up. The lighter colored ones burn much better.

our local TCS has some horse bedding pellets , i thought about picking up a bag and seeing what really happens when they get burned, but i wouldnt suggest doing so for the purpose of heat unless you are flat out desperate and dont mind shutting down at very short intervals to clean. i'll post if i do this and let you guys know the results

Status
Not open for further replies.