So let me see......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
If I got this right. You guys say that it is more efficient to not blow the warm air to the cold areas, but rather blow the cool air toward the heat source?

So in this case where the vent is at the top of the wall in the room where the stove is and the other side leads to my upstairs hallway.

IMGP0868.jpg

I have been sucking heat into the hallway. Maybe I should blow air into the room where the stove is??

Skinny, it depends on the specific configuration of the space you're working with. Try whatever you can think of, and then try the opposite, and give it some time both ways, and then maybe try a couple of other ways...and find out what works for you in your house...these are not universal laws of physics we're dealing with, there are too many variables for anyone on this forum to look at one or two pics of the interior of a room in your home and tell you what's the very best thing for you to do. Just remember that hot air rises. Have fun! Rick

EDIT: In that room, if you moved cool floor-level air out of the room through the doorway toward the heated room, it would naturally be replaced by nice warm air coming through the existing grill...if I'm interpreting the pic correctly in terms of where I am in the house relative to where the stove is. Rick

If that's your hallway upstairs I would be inclined to make a cool window/balcony type opening there to allow for even more free flow of hot air and it would be super cool. I wouldn't think that you would need any fans to make that hallway warm.

i can't because the ceiling of the room pictures is like floor level of of upstairs. that would be awesome though!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.