So, What have you found?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
A little spin off from the What have you lost thread.

Has anybody found anything good while out gathering wood? Be it a rare tree or flower or an artifact/stone tool? A few of my friends search for Indian artifacts. One of the coolest things I've seen is a Ceremonial Axe head found by his Mom in the early 70's. A very neat find! Other than that many points and down by the bay quite a few old bottle caps from long gone breweries and soda pop companies.

I found some wild Azeleas on the back of my property. Not exactly a great find, but when I asked my buddy and his wife what they were, she broke down crying. Apperently, her mother used to grow them when she was a kid and they brought a flood of memories back to her. She was so excited to dig up as many as she pleased to plant in her back yard!

About 10 years ago I found a 1904 silver dollar while cutting. For the life of me I have no idea how it got there, but it sits in my safe awaiting to pass it off to one of my boys. The son I select of coarse will be the one who helps me the most with stacking wood. I'm kidding. I just now need to find another one so it will be even-steven, my boys are so competitive.

I also found an old Coca Cola bottle, the thick glass 5.5 ounce version. This would be when cities/towns had their name on the bottle. This one happened to be from the "Coca Cola Bottling Company of Twin Falls". It still sits on the window sill above the kitchen sink. I hate to say it, but I found it while being "really" close to what seemed to be an old outhouse. And no, I didn't do any "digging" if you know what I mean.

I saw a show where there is a company that specializes in digging up old outhouse locations for treasure. :sick:

Over the years I've found a few arrows...not artifact arrowheads but modern day arrows hunters use.

I have found . . .

That working with your hands is more rewarding than 'other' work, though not financially

That I am not 18 anymore. Nor 21, 25, etc

That hydraulics are {an aging} man's best friend

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I have found . . .

That I am not 18 anymore. Nor 21, 25, etc

That hydraulics are {an aging} man's best friend

You ain't kidding! That "Only as old as you feel" goes out the window when digging or splitting, etc.

Matt

I found that burning wood is a lot of work.

LLigetfa said:
I found that burning wood is a lot of work.

+1 (satisfying, healthy, responsible but.........+2)

My ROUND gas can. Which I had lost earlier.

Adios Pantalones said:
Was out cutting last year and a geocacher was wandering around looking at a GPS. When he left, I found the geochache that he missed hanging out of a pine tree.

Well....what was it?

Adios Pantalones said:
Was out cutting last year and a geocacher was wandering around looking at a GPS. When he left, I found the geochache that he missed hanging out of a pine tree.

Must have been a geocaching noob . . . one of my "tricks" when caching is to put the caches in trees . . . it's amazing how many geocachers get used to finding all the caches on the ground under a pile of sticks or rocks . . . after awhile they get "trained" to look in those places and miss the obvious.

firefighterjake said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Must have been a geocaching noob . . . one of my "tricks" when caching is to put the caches in trees . . . it's amazing how many geocachers get used to finding all the caches on the ground under a pile of sticks or rocks . . . after awhile they get "trained" to look in those places and miss the obvious.

I've seen some noob geocachers standing mid trail, turn 360 degres, turn back 360, the whole time staring at the gps and then ask me if they are on the trail (mind you, these are well blazed, worn trails, with little doubt possible as to where you are likely to go). then they stalk off along the trail wihtout so much as looking up to see anything that might be worthy of a look. Hilarious.

joshlaugh said:
Morrels in the spring and fall/winter antler sheds.

I've lost my "morals" in the woods when I was first dating my wife. ;) :)

Mostly I find a large pile of beer cans by the time I get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.