So, what's better, fat or skinny wedges?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LLigetfa said:
In this world you can have Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick any two!

Indeed. I've worked in product development for a long time and have experienced those limits time and time again. However, I believe that the patient and creative can beat the rule though. While I might not be able to buy a turnkey solution for a few hundred bucks, I'll eventually get one together for that.

I wouldn't even try to compete with Lee & his peers. I have a lot of respect for those guys and doubt that I could even replicate what they do let alone do it better. I'd consider significantly reducing my splitting time without spending a lot of money a huge win.

The problem w/ the Chomper, and most other processors, is that they have definite limits on the size and shape of log they can handle... Usually the logs must be reasonably straight, free from big crotches, and fall within a certain fairly narrow size range - great if you have a tree farm and can harvest lots of trees that meet those specs, but even so you are still likely to have "rejects" that won't fit, and have to be either left in the woods or processed by manual means....

OTOH, a "Mechanically Assisted Human Processor" - AKA a guy w/ a couple of chainsaws and a hydraulic splitter, can deal with just about any log, regardless of size, shape, crotches, etc... When *I* process a tree, there is just about nothing left in the woods but brush under 2" diameter, and sawdust...

IMHO the biggest bang for the buck in increasing processing speed is to increase the size of the hydraulic pump and upgrade the motor to match - not cheap if buying retail, but less than most other options... I also don't see it as a real big advantage if one is just doing home processing.

My personal thought is that IF I had a need to replace the motor or pump due to a failure, I might spend the extra to do the upgrade as opposed to a same-size replacement, but otherwise I'd keep the splitter the way it is.

Gooserider

Definitely agree that the “Mechanically Assisted Human Processor” is the way to make firewood unless your operation justifies $50K+ in equipment. The single pass splitter makes a lot of sense to me as the vast majority of the wood I scrounge and truck home is in the 12-24 diameter range and straight. I rarely bring home crotches or stickwood.

SolarAndWood said:
I wouldn't even try to compete with Lee & his peers. I have a lot of respect for those guys and doubt that I could even replicate what they do let alone do it better. I'd consider significantly reducing my splitting time without spending a lot of money a huge win.
I think the firewood business is a small margin market unless you can cater to a niche market. For the home heating market, it is either go big or go home. Cutting labour costs and increasing production is the way to go. I think wood processors like the Chomper and heat treating kilns will be what separate the men from the boys.

I would agree although with wood prices climbing the past couple years and jobs disappearing, there are a lot more people trying to make a little money doing it. Last year I didn't see much under $50/fc and it was generally $60, this year I've seen as low as $35.

i like multi-skinny
woodsplitterpics004.jpg

the only double sharpened blade is the veticle one in the center all others are one way.
log dia. 24".....11mins to the cord,now that's chompin' !!!!!
NIGHT007.jpg

40 more cord to go.......1,000 cds no sharpen yet. ;-)

fyrwoodguy said:
i like multi-skinny
woodsplitterpics004.jpg

That's mint. Do you have a picture of the wedge without a round in it? Who makes it? 5" cylinder pushing it?

That thing looks bombproof. Does it ever fail to fully split a round?

When they get stuck, do you pop the pins on the wings and rotate the wedge on the bottom pin or slam the round in reverse with a sledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.