Soapstone stove for under 1000 square feet.

Slowmoe Posted By Slowmoe, Apr 16, 2018 at 9:54 AM

1. Slowmoe

Slowmoe
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 22, 2018
    Loc:
    Colorado
    I am always curious about soapstone stoves and the way they heat. If I were to get one it would be an old used one private party. What would I look for when dealing with these and what brands are the best, might pick one up for later use. Also these are heavy looking for small one no more hernias for me!!

2. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Hearthstone or woodstock are the two major brands. As always look for signs it was abused. Warped internal parts cracks etc. And they are all heavy. There is absolutly nothing light about a stove made of stone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Slowmoe

Slowmoe
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 22, 2018
    Loc:
    Colorado
    I was reading around on here about various types of soapstone stoves and am getting that they take two hours or so to heat up and don’t hold coals all night?Im already reconsidering thinking about these. Also looks like there are only a few small ones available most are too large for my application. But still up for any information as always.

4. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Well unless you are referring to a masonry heater unit no they do not take 2 hours to heat up at all. And holding coals overnight will depend on the fuel and firebox size. Larger ones can easily hold fire over night but so can many steel or cast stoves.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Slowmoe

Slowmoe
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 22, 2018
    Loc:
    Colorado
    I have also read good things about them as well which is why I wanted some good information on them, maybe if somebody has some model numbers and brands of smaller ones I will look around for them when I’m on the stove hunt. Do these produce enough heat to cook on as well? Not being able to cook on it would annoy me. Thanks in advance.

6. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    As far as stoves go like i said hearthstone or woodstock. Masonry heaters are usually site built but there are a few prefab ones out there tulikivi is th most well known of them

7. Slowmoe

Slowmoe
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 22, 2018
    Loc:
    Colorado
    Ok thanks for your time I appreciate it.