Soapstone stove/stack temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
I have a question that pertains to temperature, soapstone, and creosote. I have a Hearthstone Heritage installed on an outer wall, and a non-enclosed class A flue up the side of the house. I've had concerns about creosote buildup since the chimney is not enclosed and is 16' high. I am told this allows the very top of the chimney to stay much cooler even when the stove is putting out a lot of heat. I have thermometers on both the soapstone and on the stack. While I've been able to keep the soapstove at 450, at the same time, the stack thermometer gets as low as 200 when the fire is down to coals. I know that creosote buildup can occur somewhere under 250. I'm guessing if my stack is only reading 200 a foot above the stove, the outer chimney is probably much less. The discrepancy between the two temps is quite large, and with soapstone being such a heat holding element, it's very difficult to interpret which is more accurate.

My question is, with these newer stoves, secondary burns, and very little smoke going up the chimney anyway, how much of a risk am I running if any here? If my stove itself is 450, is anything dangerous even making it up the chimney?

If your stove pipe thermometer is one of the magnetic types it's not giving you the actual internal temp. I think I read in a past thread to add 50% to that kind of temp gage. So if your reading is 200, it is really 300 degrees. Or you can always purchase a internal probe thermometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.