Solar PV 2017

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
2017 kWh production slightly exceeded the 2014-2017 average production. 2017 kWh production was 15,531 kWh and the four year average was 15,482 kWh. Production in 2014 remains the High year and 2016 remains the Low year.

upload_2018-1-1_7-28-43.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sloeffle
How big is your system? How big is your house? Does your solar system take care of all of your electrical needs? I'm putting up a 6.1 kw system. How long is your payback time? Did you get rebates? Is your system a permanent ground mount? Did you you lean it to favor summer?

How Big PV? 12.3kW DC
How Big house? 1500 sqft
Meet needs? yes, produces about 15,500 kWh/year; house usage is about 12,000 kWh/year; system designed for excess to be available to "fuel" a future electric car.
Payback? my system was installed in 2013 and expanded in 2015. Prices have dropped a lot since then, so my payback would be irrelevant. In my area cost of a ground mount install by professional is about $3.00 - $3.50/watt.
Rebates? only rebate was the FTC. You may have other rebates/credits available. Do you have net metering available and if so, at what rate? I look at PV as along term investment, not a cost
Ground Mount? permanent
Tilt (lean)? favors spring/fall (35 degrees) and therefor favors some winter as well vs a tilt which favors summer.

For a long thread on my system, see:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/solar-electric-6-5kw-expanded-to-12-3kw.116031/

posting error