Solid fuel Compairsons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobDee

Oct 24, 2008
Eastern Pa
I was wondering about the heating qualities of biomass vs. hardwood vs. coal?
I live in Berks county PA and coal is plentiful as well as hardwood and biomass the prices for each per ton is similiar around 200 to 250 per ton (hardwood per cord)
What I am looking for is the best bang for my buck. I currently cant burn coal but I've had thoughts to buy a multi fuel stove so I can burn the above 3 choices. I guess what I am asking is, with all you vets to fire out there what do you think provides the most heat at the best price?

I might be going out on a limb a little, but I think that the pricing being equal would point to coal as being the best bang for your buck. It holds more btu per pound than wood does (generally), but I am FAR from a biomass guy.

Now on the flip side, if you were looking to be kind to mother nature.....thats a different story.

If price is your only consideration, then I'd go with coal. Where you live, it WILL be the least expensive method.

Coal has some advanatages and problems though.... Coal is messy (not just going up the chimney), your house will get a fine coal dust from transporting it in. Also, coal is a lot harder to start, so if you're burning 24/7 that isn't really a problem, but if you're burning occasionally or to supplement..... That can become annoying.
Coal burns hotter then anything else, so it'll keep you warm, but you'll need the correct flue venting for the heat and corrosion it generates.....
Coal is not renewable, and does represent a global greenhouse gas when burned. The same is not true of wood.

One last point, I'd buy the stove for the job.... Those multifuel stoves you talk about are still best at doing either coal or wood.... Usually coal. Burning wood in these multifuel stoves, is like burning in a non-epa certified stove.... Not what you want to be doing in a new stove. So if you want to burn coal, then buy a coal burner. If you want to buy wood, then buy a wood burner.

RobDee said:
I was wondering about the heating qualities of biomass vs. hardwood vs. coal?
I live in Berks county PA and coal is plentiful as well as hardwood and biomass the prices for each per ton is similiar around 200 to 250 per ton (hardwood per cord)
What I am looking for is the best bang for my buck. I currently cant burn coal but I've had thoughts to buy a multi fuel stove so I can burn the above 3 choices. I guess what I am asking is, with all you vets to fire out there what do you think provides the most heat at the best price?

Here ya' go:

HARD COAL (ANTHRACITE)
86 - 98% Carbon
15,000 BTU/lb

SOFT COAL (BITUMINOUS)
45 - 86% Carbpn
10,500 - 15,500 BTU/lb

HARDWOOD
41% Carbon
6,000 - 7000 BTU/lb

Since prices vary locally, get yours and divide BTU/lb by the $$/lb and you have your answer.

My bet is on anthracite unless you have your own woodlot or scrounge wood a lot.

Aye,
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.