Some bi-metal stove thermometers are crap!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin Weis

Minister of Fire
Mar 3, 2018
Union Bridge, Md
Got a IR thermometer today and found the bi-metal one the dealer gave me when we bought the stove is off by 125. That's huge. I'm assuming there all very inaccurate so I'm not going to use any of them unless someone here has a brand that is spot on they can tell me. Kevin

Got a IR thermometer today and found the bi-metal one the dealer gave me when we bought the stove is off by 125. That's huge. I'm assuming there all very inaccurate so I'm not going to use any of them unless someone here has a brand that is spot on they can tell me. Kevin
Condar's thermometers are usually more reliable.

Reactions: Ashful
I picked up the Imperial Burn Indicator, and it reports exactly the same numbers as my IR gun. They sell it up here at Canadian Tire and Home Depot. Can't believe I used to have a fire without one. Realized quickly that I was burning much too cool.

imperial-manufacturing-magnetic-stove-thermometer-burn-indicator-wood-pipe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PA Fire Bug
The ranges are for stove pipe temps, not stove top. It can still be used on the stove top but ignore the ranges in that case.

I just bought an Imperial like pictured to see if it is any more accurate than the "free" one the dealer gave me. The free one is a good 125 off as said. You can calibrate a magnetic by hitting the pipe with an IR at 18 inches and just move the magnetic down until it reads the same as the IR at 18". I am puzzled how the one pictured is reading 100 dgrees in the packaging?

ok so how does one read stove top temp with an ashford? The exposed top is not really the top. Or maybe it doesn't make a difference. Also is a probe type necessary for double wall pipe? Inquiring minds want to know

Hit your thermostat in the house with the IR to see if it reads the same as what your thermostat says the temp is.

I just bought an Imperial like pictured to see if it is any more accurate than the "free" one the dealer gave me. The free one is a good 125 off as said. You can calibrate a magnetic by hitting the pipe with an IR at 18 inches and just move the magnetic down until it reads the same as the IR at 18". I am puzzled how the one pictured is reading 100 dgrees in the packaging?
It was a hot day

I've done a lot of back-and-forth with these two and found the Condar to be pretty good.

DSC01770.JPG

Inferno stove top thermometer and the Condar Fluegard seem to work well for me. I don't have an IR gun though so not too sure how accurate they really are, but the stove runs just fine when they are both in their optimal zones.

Had to get up here and check mine. The little bi-metallic one that came with my Woodstock stove is reading 268, my IR thermometer says 264.

No idea who manufactures the Woodstock-provided one. But it is as close as one could need it to be for the purpose.

Had to get up here and check mine. The little bi-metallic one that came with my Woodstock stove is reading 268, my IR thermometer says 264.

No idea who manufactures the Woodstock-provided one. But it is as close as one could need it to be for the purpose.
Our glass covered Sandhill came with our 1979 Resolute when we bought it new. This thermometer has stayed remarkably accurate over the years. Wish they still made them. It's easy to read, durable and accurate.

sandhill.jpg

I threw mine in the oven at 450 and found it to be right on at that temp. I also don’t think you need to worry about them being perfectly accurate unless your always burning at max output and on the edge of overfite often. I use mine at a glance just to see how she’s doing, helps me turn it down earlier and get longer burns.

I have two of those Condar Infernos, and both are within 50F of my IR gun at all temps I’ve checked.

I have 2 from Condar - one stovetop and one stovepipe. When compared to my IR gun readings they both are always within about 25 degrees; plenty good for running the stove.

ok so how does one read stove top temp with an ashford? The exposed top is not really the top. Or maybe it doesn't make a difference. Also is a probe type necessary for double wall pipe? Inquiring minds want to know
Yes a probe is required for doublewall pipe. As far as stove top temps go i really dont find them very usefull with regards to running a stove. Pipe temp is much more important.

My condar medallion stove top runs 25 degrees cooler than the IR. Not enough difference to care about. On the other hand I just bought an imperial flue probe and it was more than 100 degrees off. I want to say over 150 off. The way I calibrated it was before a reload I stuck my instant read meat thermometer I use for smoking in the pipe and adjusted my probe to that. It took a few times to get it just right because the flue probe would cool off some when checking temps with meat probe. Now how accurate is the meat probe....dunno.

Condar . . . I found it to be within 25 or so degrees of what the IR thermometer was reading.

+1 on using a probe thermometer for double wall pipe . . . I tend to rely on this thermometer much more than I do on the stove top thermometer.

My Kel Kem stove top (VC) is about 75 off from the IR. I never pay attention to it. Relay 100% on the flue probe and the cat probe for both stoves. Did not even bother sticking one of these on the BK.

My Kel Kem stove top (VC) is about 75 off from the IR. I never pay attention to it. Relay 100% on the flue probe and the cat probe for both stoves. Did not even bother sticking one of these on the BK.

Me either. Flue probe and cat meter only on the cat stove. I tried a stove top meter but the 1400 degree cat right under the stove top at all burn rates just meant that the stove top meter was also a constant.

I usually ignore my stovetop thermometer too. Imagine my surprise a few minutes ago when I went to put the kettle on the stove and saw it purring along at 700º. Guess I can close the air off all the way with this loading.