Some help with a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

putchell07

Oct 21, 2018
springfield, mo
I would really appreciate some knowledgeable advice and suggestions for my search for a new wood stove. I have a 1300 sqft home that I heat with wood. I want a new stove without a cat and I want to be able to load the thing up and have it run for as long as possible (10 hours?) without needing reloaded and not get run out of the house from over heating. I was looking at the Englander 50-SHSSW02 and also the woodpro ws-ts-2500, both of which have larger fireboxes and look they would have good burn time but i dont know if these are quality stoves and if they will just run me right out of my house. Last thing is my budget is right around $1,000. I am open to totally different stove suggestions and will appreciate any knowledge you can share.

Thanks!

The Englander 30-NC and 50-SHSSW02 are 3 cu ft stoves. They will do the job and are from a company with good support. I don't know enough about the WoodPro yet to comment. It is pretty new on the scene. Another strong contender would be Drolet stoves. They are made by SBI and have a good track record. Their 3 cu ft stoves are the HT2000 and the Austral II (also Baltic II and Myriad II (Same firebox, different trim and shielding.)

How well insulated is the house? How open is the floorplan? If the wood stove location is closed off from the rest of the house a bit smaller stove may be better. Also, how hot do you like to have the house in winter?

The house was built in 1940 but I have insulated all the walls with r-13 replaced doors and windows and blown in the attic so its pretty close to insulated as well as a modern home. The main area of the house is completely open and my return air for my HVAC system is directly above the wood stove so I kick that on the circulate the air into all the bed and bathrooms as well. My wife and toddler like the house to be pretty warm, 75 or so. Thanks for the brand and model names, I'll give them a look.

The 3 cu ft stoves are going to be a bit oversized for the house. A 2 cu ft Pacific Energy Super could heat the place. With a big stove you will need to burn smaller fires in milder weather.

The return by code needs to be at least 10 ft away from the stove. It should not be directly above the stove.

I know the return is too close by code but that's where it is and it works great for getting hot air through the house. So in your opinion would i be better off with a 2 cu ft stove then? I really want to be able to go as long as possible between filling it but not if filling up a 3 cu ft stove is just going to run me out of the house... Thats kind of my worry, I want to longer run time of the bigger stove without making my house 90.

Springfield temps are usually relatively mild compared to up north. A good 2 cu ft stove will heat the place say 90% of the time, with the primary heat needing to come on occasionally when temps are very low. A 3 cu ft stove in this instance may heat the place 100% of the time, but will be running at partial capacity for a lot of that time, essentially like a 2 cu ft stove. That is why I recommended the PE Super (or Alderlea T5). It has a good long burn time for a 2 cu ft stove.

In between size at 2.5 cu ft is the Enviro Kodiak 1700. It will provide a good 10hr burn.