Some Vigilant questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fruitfarmer496

Jan 11, 2018
Northern Michigan
Still mucking around with this 1977 model Vigilant, and been reading as much information as I can get on how it's supposed to operate.
I am still trying to figure out, exactly where the secondary air enter the actual firebox. Seems that in this stove, there are 5 "primary air inlet ports" in the "fireback", I haven't seen a Defiant model what pictures seem to show secondary air enters from a tube in the right end of the firebox. My Vigilant has a inlet port with a swivel cast cover on the left side, I have shoved a metal rod through this passage but can't determine where it exits inside the stove. I would think it would provide additional heated air to the cut out in the fireback in the lower right hand side of the firebox?

on the defiant it goes from the same left hole to the other side of the stove where it goes into a manifold and is spread out back to front so the smoke and gases hits a wall of heated air for a second burn. yours doesn't take the turn from back to front. put your hand up that hole and you should feel a tube with a slot cut in it. that's where the air gets mixed for a second fire. i'm going by the manual pictures