Someone needs to start something....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
I keep coming in here looking for some chatter and not only is the radio dead, the station is empty!

What's everyone up to?

I'm fixing the shop roof. The skylights went bad.

Also fixing the house roof and rebuilding an addition that was done wrong many years ago.

Have to weld rockers on the car, do some work on the truck, get more concrete in the shop, insulate the shop, build a few wood sheds, slaughter a few pigs, and about 100 other things. Oh yeah, I have to do up more firewood...

I'm planting the garden. Almost finished.

I keep coming in here looking for some chatter and not only is the radio dead, the station is empty!

What's everyone up to?

I'm fixing the shop roof. The skylights went bad.

Also fixing the house roof and rebuilding an addition that was done wrong many years ago.

Have to weld rockers on the car, do some work on the truck, get more concrete in the shop, insulate the shop, build a few wood sheds, slaughter a few pigs, and about 100 other things. Oh yeah, I have to do up more firewood...
We've had heavy rains the last two days which we needed and tomorrow more of the same with possible high winds so I'll make sure things on the outside are buttoned up before it could start in the afternoon.

What types of firewood are you putting up? I still have ash, maple and beech that need some attention, some just need stacking and the rest needs splitting & stacking. That should give us around 56 or 57 face cord stacked before the fall cutting starts. We also have 10 face cord of shoulder season wood up with room for 2 more.

There was a time I was busting my arse getting firewood in the summer but since the inventory levels are good, hopefully we can enjoy the summer.

The like reply is nice but it takes away from people responding whatever season it is.

isaac carlson surprised you had the time for this post;lol you have a hellava list.
last weekend did the front brakes and 4 slides on my daughters rav4
2 weeks before that did a heater box to my work truck
this past weekend did front shocks on the work truck and pulled the radiator out of my son's camry and plastic welded the top tank ( 8 inch crack )
next weeked will attack the grand marquis intake manifold
and maybe put away a 1/3 cord of norway maple and split some more
weekend after that is continuing ed for my license.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Yeah. I framed in a friend's bathroom yesterday and put up car siding today. Putting a new head on a toro dingo tomorrow, then working in the garden. The neighbor wants me to fix his jet boat next week (i built it and he ran into several rock bars).

Meh, my "wood shed" activities this week consist entirely of fighting the carpenter bees that are trying to turn my rafters into swiss cheese. A duster, some dessicant, a few corks, and a plug cutter get the job done, none of it's been exciting enough to bother posting.

My neighbor had a tree service come in and take down another half dozen ash, which they left piled for me. It's been too wet to lift logs with my loader down there, recently, but it does appear to be drying out this week. Maybe I'll fetch it this weekend.

When the weather turns warm, my mind turns from firewood to mowing and sailing.

Still getting caught up from losing prime winter time getting wood dropped and bucked while my ankle was healing up. I am a year ahead but need to get back to two years. I did get enough trees dropped in place before the leaves came out but the sap was running so this wood is wet. I am tagging the ground more often than normal bucking as I normally buck with a couple of feet of snow on the ground. I am now focused clearing trees along a road frontage so my wood species which is supposed to be beech and more beech is going to be mostly maple, white birch, yellow birch and of course beech for the next two years. The woods are now a jungle again (darn beech suckers) with the leaves out but I can get to most of it pretty easily. If I can line up a bucket truck I even have big red oak leaning over the road which will be a rarity for me. I hope to haul a bunch of it to my friends sawmill to make it into boards but expect lot of firewood as its real healthy crown.

I also wanted to deal with a monster white pine that is about 48" DBH this summer but expect its got to wait. Its got 40 feet of clear looking wood and after that its still big but will be knotty. I need pro to do it as its leaning towards a road with powerlines, phone lines, cable lines and lots of fiberoptics.

I really need to get my work projects done so I can finally retire but its looking like part time until September.

I'm retired and leave the heavy work to the Kid:)
Been there done that now I just watch and give unwanted advice :p

Reactions: Ashful and clancey
I stacked some wood today. It was close to 90F. When the kids asked what I was doing I turned to them and said, "Winter is coming!" I was wearing the Game of Thrones tee shirt that they bought me that has the same phrase on it. I know, it is corny, but I couldn't have pulled this off any better if I had planned it.

Cutt up a cord of honey locust Mon. -ready for splitter. made some new chains for me from a reel of it. sharpened some 50 + chains for customers, working on apx 30 stump grinder teeth for another. there is another 50 -60 chains and around 100 some odd other stump teeth to do for customers as well as some saws to be done. suv and cut both need oil changes. motor went south on one of dust collectors - that whole assembly is toast, cost of repair exceeds replacement cost. about a doz. chipper blades to sharpen. Surprisingly I have not been loaded up with mower blades yet. Have a new bandsaw grinder due shortly just for the band mill blades- need to make a tooth setter for those also as well as a strecher for same ( takes any cupping out of the blade) 1/2 dozen other little things to do- back burner stuff. And there is some 12-13 log cords out back that need bucking- I only need 48 hour days. Haven't even gotten to the garden

Reactions: StudlyHogly
Its the time of year mowing and field spraying is the main jobs going on around here. Still burning the Garn every few days for domestic. Tried a couple of time to get my wood crew together and split and load about three cord of hedge that I have bucked up but been rained out. One of my wood helpers is coming tomorrow so we should be able to get one of my three cord trailers done. Winds down today so more spraying. Sprayer and tender equipment have been good this year. Hope everyone has a good and safe summer. With the fuel cost as it is I don't think we will do much traveling after spraying season winds done.

Cutt up a cord of honey locust Mon. -ready for splitter. made some new chains for me from a reel of it. sharpened some 50 + chains for customers, working on apx 30 stump grinder teeth for another. there is another 50 -60 chains and around 100 some odd other stump teeth to do for customers as well as some saws to be done. suv and cut both need oil changes. motor went south on one of dust collectors - that whole assembly is toast, cost of repair exceeds replacement cost. about a doz. chipper blades to sharpen. Surprisingly I have not been loaded up with mower blades yet. Have a new bandsaw grinder due shortly just for the band mill blades- need to make a tooth setter for those also as well as a strecher for same ( takes any cupping out of the blade) 1/2 dozen other little things to do- back burner stuff. And there is some 12-13 log cords out back that need bucking- I only need 48 hour days. Haven't even gotten to the garden
I'd be interested to see how a pro like you does mower blades. I do them with a 24 grit AlO disc on a 5" angle grinder, which gets the job done, but not fast, and winging the angle by eye. I balance on a manual balance, good enough for home use.

The gator blades with diamond flakes deposited on the non-beveled edge create a new wrinkle, as I'm used to flattening that side before touching up the bevel. Now, I can only work from the bevel side.

I'm no pro, but I put about 120 acres of mowing under my deck each year, on my own lawn. This year, with the rains and ideal weather, I may land as high as 150 acres.

Ashful - I use an old tool & cutter grinder,circa mid 30's, 4" tilting vise bolted to table which travels in 3 axis. Originally it was a flat belt drive. it was a pia to change the belt if it broke or streched too far, both of which were way to common. it now is a #40 chain drive , 1 hp motor 3 ph. spinning 12" x 1/2 ' wide ruby vitrified wheels that i have custom made. about the same grit you are using. run a mist coolant system on there also. can hog pretty good without burning. Use a magnamatic balancer. generally i have to offset the vise to compensate for deflection as well as any bends . I can take bends out almost all the way on the hydro press but you never get it 100 %. those stepped mulching blades are a 2 step process and then just blend the curves in with angle grinder. I do not try to flatten blades from the back . Don't want the back side tilted up. was a time when the county would bring in the the big bush hog blades - 2' - 4' long 5/8" thick tempered steel. hard to tell the front from the back when i would see them.
i have 3 acres , if it gets ahead of me it is an all day process to knock it all down with the 60" deck on my MF tractor diesel 25 hp at the pto. I need a bigger tractor for plowing and such - used prices are worse than the used car market.

Last edited: