Soot eater with horizontal run?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
I was looking at getting a soot eater so I could clean out the flue more often without having to take it apart. I like the idea of the soot eater, but about 3' of my double wall pipe is horizontal. Would the soot eater force the buildup outside to the chimney or would it just fall to the bottom of the horizontal section?
stove1.jpg

Hello ,
If you describe more of the chimney or post photos you may get more responses. Disassembling the horizontal and or adding a clean out to the exterior chimney might be needed. If your posted photo shows the chimney passing through an exterior wall.

Hello ,
If you describe more of the chimney or post photos you may get more responses. Disassembling the horizontal and or adding a clean out to the exterior chimney might be needed. If your posted photo shows the chimney passing through an exterior wall.
There's a photo in my post. Is it not showing up?

I believe @1kzwoman is inquiring, "what is beyond the pipe shown in the photo?"
That might help others in giving a helpful answer.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
I believe @1kzwoman is inquiring, "what is beyond the pipe shown in the photo?"
That might help others in giving a helpful answer.
Ah...got it. Just goes through wall thimble to outside class A chimney. My hope is I can run the soot eater up from the stove and drive any buildup out the double wall pipe and have to drop out of the chimney cleanout. I'm thinking I could run the soot eater and maybe stick the leaf blower in there to blow it out the direction I want? It's just a PITA to take it apart every time.

Mine does not "sweep" much from the bottom of the horizontal run. I use a shop vac to clean it.

Leaf blowers may sound nice but very often result in a large black cloud inside...

Mine does not "sweep" much from the bottom of the horizontal run. I use a shop vac to clean it.

Leaf blowers may sound nice but very often result in a large black cloud inside...
crap...sounds like I'm stuck taking apart every time. I don't have a shop vac. If there wasn't a damper, I could fish a brush all the way through from inside. That damper really complicates cleaning.

I am planning on finally "getting a round to it" and purchasing a Sooteater (been in the planning stages for a few years). I plan on cleaning out my stove pipe by going in from the clean out outside and snaking the sooteater into the stove pipe and then down the pipe into the stove.

I was never able to do that with the standard fiberglass poles.

crap...sounds like I'm stuck taking apart every time. I don't have a shop vac. If there wasn't a damper, I could fish a brush all the way through from inside. That damper really complicates cleaning.
If your setup drafts well, you could take the 90* elbow off and replace it with a tee...have the cap facing out toward the room so that you can easily clean that horizontal section...

I’d pull the 90 down to the stove. It’ll be easy to clean from the horizontal to the outside, and the part you took off can be cleaned outside.

If your setup drafts well, you could take the 90* elbow off and replace it with a tee...have the cap facing out toward the room so that you can easily clean that horizontal section...
That's brilliant. I would never in a million years thought of that. If anything, my stove drafts too much so that would work. Is there a black double wall T or would it be a silver class A piece?

Reactions: brenndatomu
That's brilliant. I would never in a million years thought of that. If anything, my stove drafts too much so that would work. Is there a black double wall T or would it be a silver class A piece?
Black is fine

I can run the sooteater right on past the open key damp in my 6" pipe. Have you tried? I don't know if it helps you much sine that 90 degree bend probably can't pass the sooteater.