Soot on ground and windowsills from interior quadrafire 7100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What prompts your suggestion I find a new chimney sweep? This guy is employed by the company that installed our quadrafire and other fireplaces.

If he would not clean it when it obviously needs it you need a different sweep i am sorry and besides he said it would befine to burn without checking it another reason to switch

If it makes you feel better....I'm having a similiar issue the past 2 mornings. It's been abnormally cold here lately, and my new liner really increased the draft I have. When first starting the stove in the am, I'll get some black floaty things floating down onto the snow in the yard. If you try to pick them up they disintegrate. As soon as I get up to telp and choke the air back, and close the bypass it stopped both times. I think, as someone pointed out in my thread that...with the cold temps and me starting a hot fire, the liner expands causing some "fly ash" to dislodge and with the increased draft...up it comes out the chimney. Change in temps, or change in wood may make your issue completely go away. Is it abnormally cold there too?

Are you starting the fire with newspaper? It could be little bits of burnt paper getting sucked up the chimney and blown around the yard.

Sometimes, but the past two days I started mine with just the hot coals in the stove. What I see out there looks like jet black charred paper...that falls apart if you try to touch it. I've been burning white birch lately and that can coat things with a soot coating. Question to the OP...are you burning any types of birch lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.