Q&A Sour Smell from Mendota DXV 42 fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I hope that you can help me. I have had a Mendota DXV 42 firelplace for nearly one year but the fireplace still emits a sour smell (similar to the break in period). I know that the specifications say that this smell may linger for up to 24 hours operation but I have had mine operating for well over 100 hours and still have the smell. Do you know what could be causing the smell and if it will ever go away? I thought this was supposed to be a higher quality manufacturer and so am disappointed with the situation. I still open windows after the firelplace has run about 20 minutes because of the smell.

P.S. I have had a service person out to investigate the problem and he also checked for CO2. Everything was O.K. on the CO2 check. He said the smell could be coming from the gasket between glass and the front cover, or actually from the metal fireplace itself. What do you think?

Answer:

Yes, it's possible other materials in the fireplace OR room could be outgassing. This includes the paint on the wall in front, building materials in the wall, etc.

If I were you I'd run the unit on high for a number of hours straight with the doors and windows open to try and bake the smell out of there. This assumes the unit is correctly installed and that the clearances specified in the manual have been followed.

Also, is there any way gases from the pipe outlet outside could be re-entering the house through a vented soffit or another route?

Try to determine if the smell is coming out of the convection grates of the unit...this will help locate it.

Mendota has always been good about taking care of their customers. If this does not go away, you should make it clear to your dealer and Mendota that the situation is not acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.