Source for High-temp firebrick splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
I've turned a lot of refractory into gravel in my secondary combustion chamber over the years, and I've had a lot of trouble finding suppliers of high heat / high density firebrick. Because of the limited space in my secondary combustion, I need 'splits' - 1 1/4" thick bricks. For longevity, I really want high heat - 2800::F or higher. They're really heavy and expensive to ship, and most suppliers only want to sell them to big industrial customers.

I finally found an outfit in Massachusetts who is willing to cut standard 2800::F bricks in half the hard way to make splits - for the normal split price. They're also willing to sell to private individuals. They're located in Woburn, north of Boston and close to I-93 and I-95. I'll post contact info if anyone is interested.

I'm looking forward to a secondary combustion labyrinth that lasts more than a year or two.....

What's the temperature range of "normal" for brick?
There are a *lot* of different firebrick formulations, and I've destroyed a good many of them. Fireplace brick (the yellow ones you can buy at your local building supply) are rated for 1750. Medium duty are rated for around 2500. High duty are rated for somewhere between 2700 and 2850, and super duty are rated at around 2900. Actual service temps vary depending on the type of installation, the chemistry of the hot gasses, and the phase of the moon.

I'm using them to contain the initial secondary combustion so that it's not damped by the cold walls of the surrounding water jacket. My best guess is that the inside of the firebrick enclosure is at 2600 or 2700 degrees, while the outside is at 1100 degrees or so. Big thermal gradient, tough on the bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.