Sous Vide?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Do any of you have any experience with it?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an ANOVA cooker. For the last few years I figured its a gimmick, but I'm now starting to think its something ii should try.

I cook for a living but never tried that out. I'd be interested in the results.

A lot of guys on a woodworking forum I frequent swear by it. They have for the last few years. I'll let you know how it works when it arrives. The wife's going to put the order in tonight.

If you're on Facebook , there's a pretty active group called Sous Vide Dummies. Check it out to see some of the stuff people are making. My take: it is another tool in the kitchen toolkit. Very effective if used properly, but not the first thing you need to buy to outfit your kitchen. Very handy when it is too cold outside to fire up the grill. It doesn't save time, but it is hands-off so you can prep the rest of the meal.

Cook over fire. There is no substitute.

Besides...its just weird to drink 12 beers staring into a pot of boiling water in your kitchen. But around a grill?..perfectly normal.

You haven't had a dry aged steak prepared sous vide.

You can add the grill marks at the end with fire if you would like. A branding iron or hot grill pan will do it.

Any info on the amount of plastic and chemicals from the bags that ends up in the food?

You haven't had a dry aged steak prepared sous vide.

You can add the grill marks at the end with fire if you would like. A branding iron or hot grill pan will do it.
Branding iron? Are you serious?

To be fair..you haven't had my grilled steaks either. :)
I've been grilling over my own apple tree wood. Pretty amazing.

My new toy/tool arrived today. I grabbed the kid and walked to the store to pick up a small brisket. I'll be cooking it at 135F for 2 days and then I'll sear it on the grill. Seasoning is sea salt, black pepper and ancho chilie Woo hoo! New adventure!

That's a great site. I love the veggie stuff.

I was weak. The wife and I evaporated 2lbs of brisket. The only thing missing was the smoke flavor.

The only thing missing was the smoke flavor.

Need to invest in liquid smoke. A buddy of mine does BBQ competitions and I had him over for dinner. Did pulled pork in the crockpot...added just a touch of liquid smoke. He thought I had smoked it until he realized, I had been at work all day. He was pleasantly surprised.

I'm loving this tool.

I have found that I need to make one change to our butcher shop trips. When we buy the meat and break the portions down, I want to season them then. Then I only have to pull the meat from the freezer and drop it straight into the bath.

The only issue I have so far is that the wife and I have to get our timing down. It takes her longer to cook the veggies than it does to sear and slice the meat. So by the time the veggies are done, half the meat has disappeared.

I have a sous vide, a Sansaire. I used it once to make a nice medium rare prime NY Steak. Looks pretty good eh? I flamed the outside with a propane torch as they come out of the vacuum bag grey.

28867470203_fe4c34cd3d_z.jpg

Perfectly cooked and nice and juicy. A perfect picture of a steak. And that it what it tasted like, a picture of a steak. No flavor at all. Zero. If you like bland food a sous vide is the way to go.