Southern New England: Hearth Rugs $7.99

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulOinMA

Minister of Fire
Oct 20, 2018
MA
I needed a new hearth rug to replace my ratty old rug that was 10+ years old. Was going to look online and check my local fireplace shops. Noticed $7.99 rugs in the weekly Ocean State Job Lot flyer. Page 14 here: https://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/flyer.

I have a very small OSJL (Marlborough, MA) compared to others I've been in, and they had a selection to choose from.

The rug is larger than the one I had. My wife said that Whiskers went over and immediately started scratching it, as though it's for him. Having it right next to a cat scratcher doesn't help. :)

Attachments

• Southern New England: Hearth Rugs $7.99
    IMG_2097 - Copy.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Snip off some fibers and put a match to them to see if this is fireproof.

I needed a new hearth rug to replace my ratty old rug that was 10+ years old. Was going to look online and check my local fireplace shops. Noticed $7.99 rugs in the weekly Ocean State Job Lot flyer. Page 14 here: https://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/flyer.

I have a very small OSJL (Marlborough, MA) compared to others I've been in, and they had a selection to choose from.

The rug is larger than the one I had. My wife said that Whiskers went over and immediately started scratching it, as though it's for him. Having it right next to a cat scratcher doesn't help. :)

does non combustible rug count as ember protection?

Snip off some fibers and put a match to them to see if this is fireproof.

It's not labeled as fireproof. Didn't expect it to be. A hearth rug for my application is an inexpensive, sacrificial fire-resistant rug to catch any small ember that might come out with a reload to protect the other carpeting.

Separately, the carpet in the room is original to the house and is in dire need of replacement. :)

Fire resistant is too loosey goosey a description for me, but if the rug is far enough away so that it would only catch a small ember once or twice a year then maybe ok. It's when an unexpected burning log tumbles out of the stove or a big ember pops out that you want full protection. We have a wool hearth rug out 16" from the stove glass and it has caught an occasional ember.

I went from "this fire resistant rug in front of the hearth is okay" to "Nothing but ceramic is okay" after about one year.

Someone who likes to poke the fire and screw with the stove less than me might need less ember protection, though.

It turns out that one piece of tiled cement board is a pretty good size for an ember pad in front of the hearth. It gives me room for a chair, and room for error. :)

Fire resistant is too loosey goosey a description for me, but if the rug is far enough away so that it would only catch a small ember once or twice a year then maybe ok. It's when an unexpected burning log tumbles out of the stove or a big ember pops out that you want full protection. We have a wool hearth rug out 16" from the stove glass and it has caught an occasional ember.

Hearth is 20" deep, so it is to just catch an occasional stray ember that might char the rug in the room otherwise.

Log tumbling out sure would be exciting, though. Never had that happen. :)

Really, really do need to get that rug replaced. It's so old that it's started buckling in a couple of places and at a seam, so it looks just like a big scratcher for the male cat.

A friend came over to pick up a carton of cigarettes and help me get the insert down the final three steps into the room for the install. I asked him to help me get the insert into the house, and he was surprised that I already had it on a hand truck in the kitchen and only needed 10-seconds help getting it down the final three steps to the den. He helps a buddy install carpets when needed, and he took pictures to send to his friend. Haven't heard from the guy yet.

Just checked the label on the carpet since I had to run out to the supermarket, which is next door to OSJL. It's labeled as "Meets or Exceeds Federal Flammability Rating D.O.C. F-F-1-70."

Looks like that's the section of Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) for small carpets and rugs at 16 CFR 1630 (FF 1-70). You can search for the CFR online to see the tests and standards. I used to do regulatory affairs for my career. :)

It's the section of CFR that's the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the Flammable Fabrics Act Regulations. It can be accessed as a PDF here …

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collectionCfr.action?selectedYearFrom=2018&go=Go

Last edited: