Spaghetti squash recipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
The Mrs. is out of town for a few months and I was rootin around in the root cellar tonight. Got about 100+ squash in there. I love it plain with butter but by the time I get to the end of these I'll never want to look at another squash again. Anybody got any ideas?

the wife makes that spaghetti squash in to spaghetti. Bakes halved squash cut side down in the oven till done. Then she scape's the meat off with a fork. then uses the strands of squash as the noodles. It is different not bad but it is different.

I can never get them to keep past Christmas so sometime around then I'll bake what I've got a freeze it to keep it.
I don't have more than 30 a year, though.

My cellar is too warm and the garage is too cold.
I have a stone wall garage built into a hill but they freeze in Jan. there, too.
I have a nice spot in the side of a hill for a root cellar but no time.

Those are definitely the best producers for our garden and I'm stuck with dozens of them too. I wish the Blue Hubbards grew as well on our soil. The spaghetti squash are pretty bland. I think the best way to cook spaghetti squash is in the microwave whole with holes poked in for steam to get out. Then let cool a bit and cut in half, take out the seeds and break up the strings with a fork. Much easier and faster than in the oven. It takes between 10-20 minutes in the microwave edpnding on the size, most take 12-15 minutes.

We do a few things with it. One side dish I like is to make little round nests on a baking sheet and sprinkle with buttered bread crumbs and broil until browned. Sometimes we'll also add browned/carmelized onions and put on Parmesan cheese instead of the bread crumbs and broil.

I'm not crazy about the substitution as pasta for tomato-based sauces since the squash can make the sauce a but watery but we did make a cream sauce with prosciutto, peas and mushrooms which made sort of a casserole, that was pretty good. My wife likes it with brown sugar and walnuts, and butter of course. I like it with walnuts, blue cheese crumbles and garlic. And, if you chill it you can make some good salads with it. I like it with beets and red onion and Italian dressing or feta cheese, cucumbers and olives and Greek dressing, the latter is a really good side dish for grilled food.

OOOOHHHHHHHHHH MAN !!!!!! You got my belly GROWLIN now! I'm gonna have to raid the fridge before bed time! I know what your saying about miro and water. I have been baking them at 275-300 for 2 hours and they are perfect - not watery. Great ideas I'll have to hit the store on the way home from wood deliveries tomorrow.

Must ask LWC, what is that critter in your avatar so excited over??? I can tell the critter's a moose, but what is it so fond of?

Gooserider

I just had to chime in that we still have four spaghetti squash left over from picking them in mid-October. Not only were these our best producers, they were hands down our best keepers and I can't recommend more highly anyone including this in their garden this year. We knock through between 3-4 per month and I also gave a ton away.

Status
Not open for further replies.