Electric Heat Pump Usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
FYI many panels do not have the room for much else but wires. Make sure you pull the cover and see how much space you have. Current transformers tend to be snapped on perpendicular to the hot wires and tend to take up space in a tight panel.

Are there any monitors similar to Sense or Emporia that do not phone home? The privacy policies for both Sense and Emporia make it apparent that they are both surveillance companies.

I've found it difficult to find any smart home/home automation that isn't home grown that doesn't do any sort of tracking or put you at risk for data breaches. Do these systems require locality data? Like addresses, etc. or can you sort of mask yourself that way? Or is the concern just general reporting of electricity usage?

I've found it difficult to find any smart home/home automation that isn't home grown that doesn't do any sort of tracking or put you at risk for data breaches. Do these systems require locality data? Like addresses, etc. or can you sort of mask yourself that way? Or is the concern just general reporting of electricity usage?
Do you have a smart phone? I assume all my data is out there and am impressed that I have not have any theft issues.

Do you have a smart phone? I assume all my data is out there and am impressed that I have not have any theft issues.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, and I do, but I understand being skeptical about cutting out privacy concerns where you can. A person who is into home automation, whether knowingly or unknowingly, most likely has this issue too. In my opinion, connecting anything to your network poses a risk of intrusion by an ISP, wrongdoer, or the company owning the piece of home automation equipment. Just my opinion. I'm genuinely curious how invasive the Vue or the Sense are because if it's just my electricity usage data pinging home, I don't really care. Otherwise, I don't want my address or anything like that at risk more than it probably already is, lol.

If someone hacks my Sense they can have at it, the worst they could do is mess with my HS110 power outlets turning them on or off. So they could in theory affect power to my pellet stove and my dehumidifier. Sense just captures electric use, not sure why the aluminum foil hats are coming out.

My bet is that the dehumidifier is using a lot of energy. Easy enough to test without any gadgets, unplug it for a month.

Ended up getting the Emporia Vue 2 and set it up last night. Really not bad for install. My advice is make sure your panel is properly labeled prior to install LOL. What a cool little device. So far, seems like this heat pump is the culprit. Well, I guess it's working as designed, but dang it is using a ton of energy. Cost of comfort I suppose (except when it defrosts and blows cold air on me). I have to imagine getting the heat pump serviced could help. It's been a bit since my last tune up.

Thanks again everybody!

Reactions: gthomas785
I'm surprised. I didn't even see an increase in my kWh usage after installing my mini split. Granted I only use it when it's above 40 -45F

Reactions: Highbeam