Sparks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket

Nov 6, 2006
A friend of mine has a small Whitfield freestanding pellet stove. While the stove is running there is a steady flow of sparks exiting the exhaust pipe. Hids neighbors house is real close to the exhaust pipe. Does anybody know what might be causing these sparks?

the ignition of fines in the pellets he's burning. How much pipe do they have? Usuallu these fines go out long before they exit the pipe.

What do you mean"Ignition of the fines"? I will ask him how much pipe there is? How much pipe should you have from the stove to the wall and from the wall to the outside.

in all pellets, theres fine portions...like sawdust, if you will, which ignite and become airborn in the combution air and exhaust. The pellets are too heavy to rise, but the fines arent. They light, become airborn, and go out the exhaust pipe. There really should not be much or any of this, as its a source of fire....imagine an ember falling into a pile of leaves, etc. The more pipe there is, the greater the distance the ember has to travel before exiting the pipe, and the greater the chance the ember will go "out" before exiting the pipe.

I thought that is what you were talking about. if he lenghtens his pipe this should help with the issue?

hard to say...you dont want the pipe too long, it will inhibit the exhaust gas too much....depends on the size of pipe and model of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.