Speeco log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MissMac

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2017
NW Ontario
Morning fellas. I'm hoping some of you mechanically inclined folks can tell me if this would be a decent log splitter to purchase? I like that it has the full beam under the ram and also that it tilts vertical. It has more than enough jam to do everything i will ask of it, but i don't know about Kholer engines, and design things to avoid etc. So fire away!

Here's a link to the splitter: https://www.princessauto.com/en/25-ton-196cc-gas-powered-log-splitter/product/PA0009009283

Engine: Kohler SH265 196cc
25 tonne, 11.2 second cycle time
Pump 2-stage, 14 GPM
Cylinder 4" x 24" with 1.75" inner rod diameter
Valve 4100 PSI
Wedge Height 8" tall wedge
Hydraulic Capacity 4.5 Gallons
Filter In-tank filter
Height -- Vertical 71" -- Horizontal 30.5"

Thanks for your advice!

It should do the job
I have a Speeco that is old,not sure how old.
Mine has been modified and never had the tilt option.I have a bigger axle with bigger tires putting the splitter at working height.
Mine has a Honda i found at the dump,the only issue i have had was the lovejoy coupler rubber disintegrating.Made one from a piece of convenor belting 8 years ago still working.

Reactions: MissMac
Speco was part of Blount Industries congolmorerate, they were a good unit with good customer service back a few years ago. there is nothing on there that can't be sourced from other suppliers. as to the Kolher I have only had one Twin cylinder and it is still putting along. if the eng goes just toss a HF unit on it. used to be Kohler Brigs and a couple others were all made stateside now most small eng. are chicom sourced name does not count.

I have a speeco that I got from a friend. Someone had taken the head off the motor and cross threaded bolts. They had no clue what they were doing. He told me I could have it. I spent a day fixing it and it runs great. I need to make a table and 4 way wedge for it. I use my electric splitter for most of my work, but the speeco is nice for when someone needs firewood split with no electricity available or if I need/want to split wood before bringing it home. That keeps the mess my the stump and lets me stack the wood as soon as I get home. Keeps me from dumping it and being lazy.

There are a ton of Speeco splitters in my area as the TSC farm stores sold them. They have changed over to ones called Country Line now. I think the Speeco for splitters in that one to two thousand dollar range are not a bad unit.

That'll do the job. In general, for nearly any firewood splitter, 22 tons (typ. 4" cylinder) will get the job done. Going larger is a waste, and a usually a stupid move if it costs you in cycle time (eg. large cylinder on small pump scenario).

Of course, if you do go larger, you can always "downgrade" the cylinder, and get some wicked fast cycle times. Some of the 28 - 35 ton machines come with larger pumps and engines, versus the 19 - 25 ton machines.

My own hot-rodded 8-second 22-ton machine started life as a Speeco, sold under brand name Huskee at TSC until a few years ago. I believe they still sell Speeco under the name to Country Line, today.

The TSC CountyLine splitters are now built in China by YTL International. They changed the design slightly. They seem to still be very good splitters regardless from the feedback I've heard. Mine is a 22 ton SpeeCo, it's starting to wear through the yellow paint into the SpeeCo red. Mine has been great.

Yup, Speeco now is not the same company, but that machine will do the job...most of the big box and farm store splitters come off the same line, just a different color, and a couple options switched around a lil...