Spinning Chain....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey

Feeling the Heat
Stihl MS250. I just replaced the sprocket and needle bearing on my MS250. I tried to get the clutch off to inspect it also, I know it's a reverse thread on the clutch and I couldn't get it to budge. Started up the saw today to to a little work and the chain would spin on it's own at idle, never did that before. The idle speed is the same as always. The chain would stop spinning when the brake was applied. I'm thinking my clutch is shot???

Last edited:
I doubt the clutch is bad if it was working before you changed the bearing. To get the clutch off I use an impact with just spark plug in, let the compression work for you. I seen pics of a MS250 with a bent con rod from the use of a rope in the cylinder to get the clutch off.

Yes,,I oiled the bearing with a little bearing grease. Before I changed the sprocket and bearing, the chain was also spinning freely, but only very slowly.

Is this saw newer, as in not many hours? Being warmer and maybe new mix it could be just a simple carb adjust. Screw in the LA screw about 1/8 of a turn and see if that doesn't cure it.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokinj and DougA
Status
Not open for further replies.