Split a round of Oak tonight - ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The smell thing must be climate or soil specific. My various oaks smell good. Guess it is hard to pick up odor from limestone outcroppings and clay.

I've been told that the manure smell of red oaks is a result of disease/fungus. Other trees of the same species won't have that smell.

weatherguy said:
Flatbedford said:
Does it stink like cat piss? Red Oak. Good stuff! I have been working on a couple big Red Oaks most of this summer. It stunk up the neighborhood.

Everyone says that but I like the smell of freshly split red oak, myabe I like cat piss :lol:

I didn't say that I didn't like the smell, just that it smells like cat piss. To me, it smells like a warm house in a couple years.

I've got a ton of Oak here of just about every variety and I love the sweet smell when it's freshly cut. Out of all the oak I've cut only one has smelled bad. It happened to be a blow down that was hollowed out at the bottom. It's been split and stacked for almost a year and whenever it rains the smell comes back a little bit. Smells kind of like puke to me.

Put a decent dent in the pile. Some of the rounds have been pretty pungent and the area definitely has an odor to it. If that is what cat piss smells like, I guess I like it.

Attachments

• 081911 oak splitting.jpg
    081911 oak splitting.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 218
Backwoods Savage said:
That is why you really need a vertical splitter.

The round gets rolled up those 2 rounds to the right of splitter and the stack of pallets serves as the table. Works pretty well, I have managed all the big rounds in these loads by myself so far.

Attachments

• 081911 horizontal split with big round.jpg
    081911 horizontal split with big round.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 202
SolarAndWood said:
Put a decent dent in the pile. Some of the rounds have been pretty pungent and the area definitely has an odor to it.
Good work!
Once it's split and stacked, 90% of the odor will be gone in about a month.
If you get your hands on some White Oak, you're in for a real treat. Smells sweet, not sour. Best wood scent I've ever had the pleasure to huff. :)

Woody Stover said:
Good work!

Thanks Woody. It's been pretty warm still in the evenings when I get home but I am highly motivated as I am hauling at least a couple more loads of it tomorrow. The closer that stuff gets dumped to the splitter, the better ;-)

The Pin Oaks do stink line manure. They are found in wet environments around here, so that may be why they smell like rotting soil/manure. Reds around here smell like puke, but good all the same. Don't get many white oaks, but they are mild and just "oaky" smelling.

Oak is heavy, no doubt, but I ran into some beech that was storm damage last year. It was the heaviest stuff I have ever touched. I would say 15% over the oak.

Woody Stover said:
SolarAndWood said:
Put a decent dent in the pile. Some of the rounds have been pretty pungent and the area definitely has an odor to it.
Good work!
If you get your hands on some White Oak, you're in for a real treat. Smells sweet, not sour. Best wood scent I've ever had the pleasure to huff. :)

Yep, that's one of the reasons they use white oak barrels for aging bourbon...that and its ability to hold fluids.

Woody Stover said:
SolarAndWood said:
Good work!

Like vanilla. Adds flavor to whisky,bourbon,brandy,sherry & cognac without being overpowering.I've had beer & ale aged in white oak barrels,you rarely see it today even with the re emergence of smaller craft breweries.

Thistle said:
I've had beer & ale aged in white oak barrels,you rarely see it today even with the re emergence of smaller craft breweries.
Hmmm. Next time I'm in WI, I'll see if I can find some of the New Glarus product, or head down to the Milwaukee Ale House again. A wood guy should be drinking wood beer, right? :)
http://www.beercook.com/articles/woodale.htm

Woody Stover said:
Thistle said:
I've had beer & ale aged in white oak barrels,you rarely see it today even with the re emergence of smaller craft breweries.
Hmmm. Next time I'm in WI, I'll see if I can find some of the New Glarus product, or head down to the Milwaukee Ale House again. A wood guy should be drinking wood beer, right? :)
http://www.beercook.com/articles/woodale.htm

We have a 15 gallon Oak barrel in the basement. It would seem it is time for something other than wine to go in it.

Thistle said:
Woody Stover said:
SolarAndWood said:
Good work!

Like vanilla. Adds flavor to whisky,bourbon,brandy,sherry & cognac without being overpowering.I've had beer & ale aged in white oak barrels,you rarely see it today even with the re emergence of smaller craft breweries.

There's a local brewery that makes a porter aged in old bourbon barrels. My two favorite drinks are bourbon and a good porter. It is super good but pricey, and not always available. It is my splurge beer...but can't think of the gd name...maybe I need a beer to lubricate the gray matter...<goes to get a beer>.

Just about got er done. 3 more rounds and a little limb wood before I go back for a couple more loads today.

Attachments

• 082111  black oak phase 1.jpg
    082111 black oak phase 1.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 116
Status
Not open for further replies.