Splitter Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2015
Mountain Dale NY
My Huskee 22 T splitter is driving me nuts. Engine starts then won't stay running. Pulled carb apart and gave everything a good cleaning and same problem. Considering changing out Honda GCV160 with Harbor Freight 170 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it's likely a carb issue, it may not be. Have you checked the oil level? If it has a low oil pressure sensor, try bypassing it. I recently had a small Honda generator giving me a similar problem. It would start and run fine for about 30 seconds, and then shut down. It ended up being the spark plug.

Reactions: Firewood Daddy
They put a 6.5hp horiz. Harbor Freight engine on the hay elevator here last year and she purrs like a kitten. We forgot to take it off last Fall. So I wanted to run it for a bit and drain the carb. dang thing started on the first pull. Ran it until the carb was drained and we took it off and put it in storage until Fall.

Make sure the fuel tank/ fuel line isn't clogged. It could easily be a supply issue. Pull the fuel line off to the carburetor and ensure fuel runs freely.

I agree with claydogg. I have a 22t dirty hand tools (I admit I was wary about a brand I had never heard of, but it works great) has a Kohler on it with a low oil sensor.

Has its engine started having problems after sitting through winter? Try draining the gas out and using some fresh fuel. Stabilizer will definitely help too. I just had to buy a new weed whacker due to similar issues. I only use canned fuels in my chainsaw, and now this trimmer. Ethenol does terrible things to small engines.

As said, and a couple of others:
Low oil sensor.
Spark plug (if they are bad, heat can cause them to do crazy things that they won't do when cold)
Gas tank vent. Make sure the engine is not pulling a vacuum on the tank. Crack the gas cap and try and run it.
Low fuel volume - clogged filter, line, etc. It sits and dribbles fuel into the carb. Engine starts but runs out of fuel quickly.
Not sure how the GC engine is put together but a coil can also cause run issues. Works when cold but stops when hot.
Just a few things to check. Good luck.

ETA: Proper oil level doesn't fix a bad oil sensor (if that were to be the problem). Just an FYI.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Just a note: dip stick for oil level not all that acurate- it could indicate enough but still be low for the sensor- ran into that one awhile back on a pressure washer.

Agreed with Jags, check the coil. I've had 'em go bad where they'll start cold, run for a bit and quit. If you haven't already, check the spark plug as well.

Was running great now it pooped the coupling between the motor and pump. Guess I'll have to take it apart and replace. Uggggg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure when replacing the Love-Joy that you take extra caution in making sure it's aligned nearly perfect. If you don't, you'll get plenty of practice replacing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.