Splitter questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
I priced a few splitters yesterday. I was looking at Husky brand at the local tractor supply. They have 22 ton, 25 ton and 35 ton. All 3 models will work in horizontal and vertical mode. My question is will the 22 ton have problems splitting some big nasty rounds? Is it just a matter of how fast they will split? I have a hard time justifying the extra cost of the bigger splitters if the smaller one will get the job done.

Even though I have a splitter (27ton Troy Bilt), I am amazed at the knowledge I didn't know by reading some of the posts on this forum. It's pretty vast and I suggest doing a bit of searching and reading. Everything from the cylinder size, to the HP of the motor will determine the actual tonnage, so don't always believe what you read on the specs. Having said that, I've been perfectly happy with the advertised 27 ton TB one I have from Lowes. It comes with a 6.5HP Honda engine and has a 4.5" cyclinder. It has a slooowww cycle time of 19 seconds but time wise, if you are splitting by yourself, I find the cycle time on my TB fast enough, since I have to chuck the splits and get the next round or section, it doesn't matter too much how fast it is, and I don't have to return the wedge to idle either, I can stop and start it forward again.

Definitely, if solo, make sure you can split vertically, no way I'm lifting some of these 30" wide rounds I have off the ground....

Jay

Thanks for the info. I did a search but did not find anything that addressed my questions on the capability of the smaller splitter. I did see a number of people use splitters in the 20 ton range.

usually, with my 27T one, if I get a real knotty round, I can work around it, turning the round. Otherwise, I try to make sure the knot is at the bottom of the round which is better than having the wedge hit the knot right away. Then the few chunks I have that can't be split, I'll just cut smaller with my electric Makita chainsaw. In fact, I have a small pile of chunks I need to cut up right now.

I think I read here that somebody said anything above 20tons is pretty good. You wont notice anything different for most splitting til you get into the 32 ton and greater range...

Jay

Bigcube said:
I priced a few splitters yesterday. I was looking at Husky brand at the local tractor supply. They have 22 ton, 25 ton and 35 ton. All 3 models will work in horizontal and vertical mode. My question is will the 22 ton have problems splitting some big nasty rounds? Is it just a matter of how fast they will split? I have a hard time justifying the extra cost of the bigger splitters if the smaller one will get the job done.

I got the 22 ton model last fall. For the price difference between the 25 and the 35, I would of gone with the 35 ton. THe 22 ton does everything I want it to. I will not split gum. Since I don't burn gum, there is no problem. Other than some gum that would not split, and gum rips apart instead of splitting, I have not had any other wood that it would not split. Some nasty pieces it will slow down but it will split it.

22 ton seems to split about anything

Most advertised tonnage on splitters are very misleading because they use the max. pressure of the pumps which is usually 3000p.s.i. but the relief setting in the valve does not let that much pressure go to the cylinder. So you don't actually produce the same amount of pressure as what is printed on the side of the splitter. most valves run at 2250 to 2700. So to actually check what pressure you are getting you need to put a pressure gauge between the valve and the cylinder to see what the relief pressure is set at.
cylinder bore /relief pressure / force apllied / tons (radius of bore squared x 3.14 x p.s.i. = force applied)

5" 3000p.s.i. 58875 ft/lb. 29.4
5" 2700p.s.i. 52987 ft/lb. 26.4
5" 2250p.s.i. 44156 ft.lb. 22
4" 3000p.s.i. 37680 ft/lb. 18.8
4" 2700p.s.i. 33912 ft/lb. 16.9
4" 2250p.s.i. 28260 ft/lb. 14

A twenty ton will split just about anything you run into, though you MAY have to work it a bit more... I have a 30ton and haven't found anything that it won't split yet, but I use a friends 20 ton helping him with his wood business, and it does nearly everything my 30 does. The only thing I've found is that every once in a great while (say one round out of 4-6 full cords) it won't want to split initially, so I have to reposition and hit it a second time - or take sections off around the stubborn part until I have it down to size. The 20 will also kick into low range more often, but that's not a big deal.

It is also worth noting that by the time you get one of those stubborn chunks split down, it's almost not worth it - you WON'T get a nice clean straight split out of the deal, instead you will end up with an ugly twisted up lump that will be a bear to get in the stove, and won't fit well on the wood pile, or you will have a pile of small odd shaped chunks... Gnarly rounds make gnarly splits!

Gooserider

We split a full cord a week ago with a Speeco 22T run by a 6.0 Hp Briggs & Stratton. There was nothing it would not split. My Dad has a Huskee 35T from TSC and that thing won't stop for anything. However, its about 100+ pounds heavier to manuever around and for one man, its too much. But! The 22T Speeco is not a problem for one man. Depending on where you are using it, this might not matter, but I haul the splitter right in to the woods and split next to the tree so it makes a difference. Dean

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm convinced the 22 will work for me. It will help me tremendously in getting consistent size splits. I'm finding my aim is not that good by hand and I make lots of kindling when I don't "halve" a split in the right spot. Plus my back can't take much more of this and my hands hurt worse than that.

I don't think you'll regret the smaller splitter. Less money, less weight. It's handy to be able to move the splitter around your worksite by hand.

I am not sure about the 'ton' ratings of splitters these days. 20 years ago when I bought my kit from Northern Hydraulics (only the welding was done before it was shipped) they called a 4" cylinder/5 horse 2-stage pump combo a 16 ton splitter. Now it seems the same rig is called a 20 ton. Must have raised the pressure standards. I guess another result of inflation.

The 30+ ton splitters only ever get full use of their power when used with 4-way or 6-way wedges to split faster. And some of them have embarrassing slow cycle times to achieve that splitting force.

I'd rather spend the extra money on insulating the house better to use less firewood.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to see what else it out there but I definitely won't go overkill on the tonnage. I have a 2" ball on my 4-wheeler. I'll haul it from pile to pile with that. :coolsmile:

The concrete for the woodshed is poured and the big pad for the truck and trailer will be poured tomorrow. Things are looking up.

^most homeowner non pro splitters are a drop pin type hitch Bigcube...

...I have an old American splitter that has a rope threw the eye tied to a broken mall handle. On site I can horse it around that way.

My splitter came stock with a hitch that takes a 1-7/8ths ball so I put a ball on my tractor to pull it around. I mounted the ball high enough so that it was at the right working height if I didn't feel like uncoupling it.
photo_11456.jpg

100_0264.jpg

LL - THAT ROCKS! I was totally designing the same thing in my head and boom, there it is. Thanks for sharing!

Stevebass4 said:
i bought this after LLigetfa showed me pics of his set up

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07124510000P?mv=rr

my splitter takes a 2 inch ball so hook it up and go

I have a trailer dolly since I don't have a big yard to move my splitter around and I don't own a tractor. Usually you can find one on sale at HF or so for $25 or so... The wheels don't seem to spin well but it works good enough.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.