Splitter shortage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
Looking to upgrade my splitter. Finding many are sold out. Just another supply issue due to the virus?

Reactions: JimBear
Looking to upgrade my splitter. Finding many are sold out. Just another supply issue due to the virus?
What type are you looking for. Menards can ship them in from other stores as I sure other stores can as well.

There are some available in my area, but seeing many that are out of stock. I am leaning towards an electric unit as my new splitting area and wood shed are close to my shop. Also trying to purchase an American made unit. That narrows down my options considerably...

There are some available in my area, but seeing many that are out of stock. I am leaning towards an electric unit as my new splitting area and wood shed are close to my shop. Also trying to purchase an American made unit. That narrows down my options considerably...
Convert from gas to electric on a "standard" splitter...then sell the gas engine to offset costs?

Convert from gas to electric on a "standard" splitter...then sell the gas engine to offset costs?
Been looking into this as well. Still not ruling it out. Kind of want a new one as mine is well used and i have no idea what brand it is. With the options i have found(or lack of) I think a conversion will be the way I go. Also very interested in getting a smaller kinetic unit.

Splitters are available everywhere here in Indiana...

I've been looking for 2 weeks now. All over the Internet. Getting annoyed since most everything that pops up says in stock and then when u click on it and navigate some tsc tractor supply or small equivalent, its either not available online or no shipping or just out of stock. Same with lowes or home Depot. Literally half of the gas powered splitters aren't available. Did a bunch of companies stop making them? I remember looking like 5 years ago and these were a dime a dozen. Can't even find dirty hand tools or speeco anymore. Can't find 4 way wedge options either. Yardmax had one but discontinued it.

I've been looking for 2 weeks now. All over the Internet. Getting annoyed since most everything that pops up says in stock and then when u click on it and navigate some tsc tractor supply or small equivalent, its either not available online or no shipping or just out of stock. Same with lowes or home Depot. Literally half of the gas powered splitters aren't available. Did a bunch of companies stop making them? I remember looking like 5 years ago and these were a dime a dozen. Can't even find dirty hand tools or speeco anymore. Can't find 4 way wedge options either. Yardmax had one but discontinued it.
Believe DHT and SPEECO are no longer made.

This happens every autumn. Popular splitter models sell out at individual stores and reach low supply in general.

The same thing happens with a lot of seasonal OPE. Snow blowers are another good example.

I checked out some kinetic splitters online. It appears they use speed to end up with the net force a bit higher than their rating. I assume they're kind of like a mechanical version of someone swinging a maul.

The disadvantage seems to be them getting stuck more often in a round. I could see that happening especially with knots - where once a conventional splitter hits one it can continue as long as it has the power to do so.

Looking on Craigslist for used splitters - from what I've seen they're typically not priced much less than new, and overall somewhat scarce.
As someone else mentioned - tends to be shortages this time of year due to the demand. Hopefully that's the case and not the supply chain.

Hey Jim, Do you have any experience with the Northern Tools splitters? I've been eyeing that one up ;-)
No experience with the NorthStar brand but my friend has a 22 ton, two-way PowerHorse it’s been a very dependable little splitter.

No shortage in Virginia

Hey Jim, Do you have any experience with the Northern Tools splitters? I've been eyeing that one up ;-)
I've got a Northern Tool 37t splitter. I've had it about 2 years now with absolutely no problems. Honda engine fires up easily and has auto idle down. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I have the northstar 30 ton splitter. I love it, you wouldn't believe the stuff I've split with it, I'll try to post some pictures.
It's absolutely worth the extra couple 100$ to upgrade to this compared to a big box store splitter. It has a Honda engine compared to a homeowner grade engine, it has an outrigger leg so it doesn't tip when you put a big log on it. The log stripper works fantastic.
Most of all, it idles down when the wedge is retracted. So when you're getting your next log, it's not just sitting there screaming wide open, putting wear and tear on the engine and pump, putting heat in the oil and burning gas.
I've never had a log I couldn't split.
All that being said, I'm extremely happy with it and would buy another one in a heartbeat

I have the northstar 30 ton splitter. I love it, you wouldn't believe the stuff I've split with it, I'll try to post some pictures.
It's absolutely worth the extra couple 100$ to upgrade to this compared to a big box store splitter. It has a Honda engine compared to a homeowner grade engine, it has an outrigger leg so it doesn't tip when you put a big log on it. The log stripper works fantastic.
Most of all, it idles down when the wedge is retracted. So when you're getting your next log, it's not just sitting there screaming wide open, putting wear and tear on the engine and pump, putting heat in the oil and burning gas.
I've never had a log I couldn't split.
All that being said, I'm extremely happy with it and would buy another one in a heartbeat
Auto-idle would be nice. I normally don't run mine full throttle anyway though.

Here’s some of the stuff I’ve split with my 30 ton Northstar. All with the 4 way wedge on it. Super happy with it

Attachments

• 21B8CC3B-6814-47C6-894D-F994A8556D4C.jpeg
    21B8CC3B-6814-47C6-894D-F994A8556D4C.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 73FAAAB8-E03D-444A-BCE0-CA6A18916DBE.jpeg
    73FAAAB8-E03D-444A-BCE0-CA6A18916DBE.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 193
  • D4B2EE5A-8B9A-49D2-873D-069F9AC4576B.jpeg
    D4B2EE5A-8B9A-49D2-873D-069F9AC4576B.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 4DC07345-E7C6-48CB-A099-10F9424DE312.jpeg
    4DC07345-E7C6-48CB-A099-10F9424DE312.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 228
Very nice. I was using my loader to load the larger one and it was so time consuming without help. When I did have help, it was necessary to have the utmost faith in my helper. It was time for me to fabricate some sort of lift. Maybe a gorilla lift is in your future.

Very nice. I was using my loader to load the larger one and it was so time consuming without help. When I did have help, it was necessary to have the utmost faith in my helper. It was time for me to fabricate some sort of lift. Maybe a gorilla lift is in your future.
Yes doing it alone takes forever. I had a helper and had faith in him, all went very smoothly.
I can put my splitter in the vertical position, but those logs were just too much to wrestle around.

What is a gorilla lift?

Sorry, Gorillabac lift.