Splitting axe redux

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
Let's have this conversation one more time. Only this time let's have it without mentioning the x27 or any other fiber glass handled tool. Right now I split with an old 60's double bit craftsman and a 1988 council 8# maul. I'm looking to buy the best wooden handled splitting axe out there. It doesn't have to be pretty or expensive, I'm not a axe snob. It just needs to do a good job and have a wood handle.

I know this has been talked to death but most threads on this subject turn into a conversation about how wonderful the x27 is. I gave my x27 away after one season, it hurt my hands and didn't split as well for me as the combo I mentioned above.

If you love the x27 great, I am happy you have found the perfect axe for you. Please help me find mine. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are some rounds that I can split with an 8 lb. maul better than my X27. It's usually longer rounds or tougher species. Your old double-bit axe is probably on the heavy side, which I think is why it did a good job splitting wood. The reason I say this is that for many years my preferred axe for splitting was a heavy fire axe--the kind with a pick opposite the bit. The head was almost 8 lbs.

For the record, I switched to an hydraulic splitter before shelling out the big bucks for something like a Gransfors Bruk maul. I'd still like to try one.

Looking forward to more posts in this thread....

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaIron
Let's have this conversation one more time. Only this time let's have it without mentioning the x27 or any other fiber glass handled tool. Right now I split with an old 60's double bit craftsman and a 1988 council 8# maul. I'm looking to buy the best wooden handled splitting axe out there. It doesn't have to be pretty or expensive, I'm not a axe snob. It just needs to do a good job and have a wood handle.

I know this has been talked to death but most threads on this subject turn into a conversation about how wonderful the x27 is. I gave my x27 away after one season, it hurt my hands and didn't split as well for me as the combo I mentioned above.

If you love the x27 great, I am happy you have found the perfect axe for you. Please help me find mine. [emoji16]

It sounds like you want an old school maul with a heavy head and maybe a shorter handle (30"). But you are the only person who knows what you don't like about your 1988 Council 8# maul.

Why not just stick with what you have since it seems to work for you.

I've been fairly happy with my combo of 3 splitting mauls: Stihl Pro Splitting maul - 35% use; 8# True Temper(?) with hickory handle - 5% use; that other one (orange & black) - 60% use.
The Stihl (made for Stihl by German tool manufacturer Ochsenkopf - http://www.ochsenkopf.com/en/) is a bit pricey, but I like its hickory handle, overall construction, and head design. It seems to plow through, rather than explode through wood. It's better on stringy/ knotty wood.
The True Temper maul is not as expensive, feels lighter, but its head design isn't as effective. It's my keep-in-the vehicle maul should I come across a scrounge.

Reactions: StihlKicking
4 posts, 6 references to the x27. I am not sure this thread is going well. ;)

I use a fiberglass re-handled 8# maul from a garage sale when I want extra exercise, which is rarely. I use a hydraulic splitter for crotches and very knotty stuff, and in the interest of not making your thread statistics any worse, we'll leave the other 80% to the reader's imagination. :)

For 30 years, I was perfectly happy with wood-handled el cheapo 8# mauls- and they still work well.

It sounds like you want an old school maul with a heavy head and maybe a shorter handle (30"). But you are the only person who knows what you don't like about your 1988 Council 8# maul.

Why not just stick with what you have since it seems to work for you.

I plan on it but sometimes I need something heavier than the double and the eight pounder is starting to take a toll on me after a few hours. I would like an axe to bridge the gap between the two.

Have you given any thought to the x25?

Just kidding! I understand why you like the wood handle, I prefer them, too. But I grew tired of replacing them, and they aren't cheap. I do find the x25 hurts my hands less than the unmentionable one. Hope you are able to find what you're looking for. And please don't drop a tree on it if you do.

I plan on it but sometimes I need something heavier than the double and the eight pounder is starting to take a toll on me after a few hours. I would like an axe to bridge the gap between the two.

Then just get a 6 lb. maul with a wood handle in a length that suits you.

I've found that lighter mauls/axes require a longer handle to achieve the higher head speeds necessary to split more difficult rounds without wearing myself out by needing multiple strikes. Because a 6 lb. maul will wear you out just as fast, or faster, than an 8 lb. maul if it's not going fast enough to get the job done on the first strike.

There is no silver bullet (although the unmentionable comes close).

As far as getting tired and beat up goes, when you take a maul and split a tree, 75% of the work is on 25% of the tree. Here's my prescription:

Tackle your uglies until you are past ready to stop. Then say to yourself, "Eventually, these knotty bastards are going to render me unable to split ANY wood."

Once you believe that, it's a short road to getting a hydraulic splitter. Carry on using your maul for most of your splitting, and do the ugly 25% with the machine.

I think you'll care less about which maul you have once you stop using it on the uglies.

Plan "B", which is vastly more expensive, is to have children and teach them to sledge'n'wedge as soon as they can pick up a hammer. This method worked well for my father, but I have heard mixed reviews about it elsewhere.

Once you believe that, it's a short road to getting a hydraulic splitter. Carry on using your maul for most of your splitting, and do the ugly 25% with the machine.

I was with you 100% until the above comment. Then I realized you were a fiction writer.

I would noodle them before I messed with a hydraulic splitter with engine. If I live long enough that swinging a maul is not practical I would consider an electric or kinetic splitter. But no stinky fumes and loud exhaust for this wood burning enthusiast! Remember, I do this for fun, that would turn it into work.

When you get the difficult ones, it's 90% out-smarting them and 10% Zen focus for velocity and accuracy. A little lube on the sides of the maul can work wonders too. Don't let them beat you up at your own game!

the eight pounder is starting to take a toll on me after a few hours. I would like an axe to bridge the gap between the two.

For decades I used double bit axes and did pretty well, but frankly mine are too lightweight for all this white oak around here. I finally picked up a cheap 10# maul and discarded it immediately for an 8#. A few years ago I found I was having your problem with my 8# maul. Against all my instincts and a lifetime of going to any expense to avoid all expenses I purchased a Stihl maul - 6.6 lbs. It has been terrific - just the right amount of weight for this old body. Husquavarna sells one of similar weight. The 6# ax-eye maul from Council tools looks good to me, but I've not used one. I also wonder about their 5# Dayton ax.

I did buy a splitter last year due to a large backlog of dead timber (HA ha ha ha. "backLOG". I kill me sometimes), but I use that Stihl a great deal.

Have you given any thought to the x25?

Just kidding! I understand why you like the wood handle, I prefer them, too. But I grew tired of replacing them, and they aren't cheap. I do find the x25 hurts my hands less than the unmentionable one. Hope you are able to find what you're looking for. And please don't drop a tree on it if you do.

Hahahaha......hey at least I can laugh about it now! That tree still hurts my wallet and pride though!

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Thanks for all the replies! Keep them coming. Right now I'm sort of wanting to try the large Husqvarna splitting axe, but the 6 pound STIHL maul has caught my attention as well.

I'm a Home Depo 8# maul with the yellow plastic handle. For me it's the right weight. That said it dosen't get used much since I have a splitter.

87b6c79bad65aec5dfd55916f4ef0d7f.jpg
I found this in the garage today. I found this thing on the roadside a few years back and forgot about it. It's a barco, date unknown. Best I can tell it weighs 4 to 5 pounds. The thing actually took a good edge, I split a small load of white oak with it today. It did fine. Now my question is, will a bonafide splitting axe such as the one made by Husqvarna be leaps and bounds better at splitting wood than this old axe?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I think wranglerstar on YouTube has similar taste and has reviewed a bunch of splitting axes and mauls he might be a good place to get a review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Wranglerstar likes wood-handled tools and has reviews some Gransfors Bruk and another brand I can't remember; I think they can be pricey, but seem to be very high quality.

Reactions: TreePointer
I always had good luck with the 8lb True Temper for lowes, then I got an X27, then I got a log splitter and the mauls collect dust.

In this case, I would go to Lowes and buy a maul from their Kobalt Brand, use it until it is no good anymore, and take it back and have them replace it under their lifetime guarantee. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Don't get me wrong, I love a project axe/maul but don't believe in shelling out hundreds of dollars for a manual splitting tool these days.

View attachment 198889
I found this in the garage today. I found this thing on the roadside a few years back and forgot about it. It's a barco, date unknown. Best I can tell it weighs 4 to 5 pounds. The thing actually took a good edge, I split a small load of white oak with it today. It did fine. Now my question is, will a bonafide splitting axe such as the one made by Husqvarna be leaps and bounds better at splitting wood than this old axe?

For anything but easy straight-grained stuff, any kind of maul will be quite a bit better. A narrow head like that (or worse, like a double-bitted axe) doesn't push the crack open as it travels, and will just stick in the wood if it's not an easy split.

For very easy-to-split wood, you'll probably like the axe better- does the same job and it's lighter.

4 posts, 6 references to the x27. I am not sure this thread is going well. ;)

I use a fiberglass re-handled 8# maul from a garage sale when I want extra exercise, which is rarely. I use a hydraulic splitter for crotches and very knotty stuff, and in the interest of not making your thread statistics any worse, we'll leave the other 80% to the reader's imagination. :)

For 30 years, I was perfectly happy with wood-handled el cheapo 8# mauls- and they still work well.
I count only one direct reference to the Fiskers product,2 if you count a quote.

5b57a92fec3ff4bc1c38d7a4e2a838c5.jpg
So I walked into my dealer yesterday and they had this STIHL branded Ox head axe sitting there. I brought it home and put it through about 1/2 cord of oak.

First impressions are good. I wouldn't say that it splits any better than my 8lb council maul but it does so with less effort, less wear and tear on me. The head weighs 5.5 pounds and rarely sticks in the wood. The handle is very robust and very little vibration or shock is transferred to my hands. At $100 I think I will be happy with this purchase for years to come.

Before I put it away yesterday I touched up the edge, sanded the handle down and applied some linseed oil to it.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this the last few months.