Splitting axe redux

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
View attachment 201227
So I walked into my dealer yesterday and they had this STIHL branded Ox head axe sitting there. I brought it home and put it through about 1/2 cord of oak.

First impressions are good. I wouldn't say that it splits any better than my 8lb council maul but it does so with less effort, less wear and tear on me. The head weighs 5.5 pounds and rarely sticks in the wood. The handle is very robust and very little vibration or shock is transferred to my hands. At $100 I think I will be happy with this purchase for years to come.

Before I put it away yesterday I touched up the edge, sanded the handle down and applied some linseed oil to it.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this the last few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats on finding what you were looking for. Looks like a real nice tool, and I expect the steel wrap below the head will give you a lot more life out of the handle. Your body will appreciate the lower weight and you'll have a lot more stamina, doing more work with less effort.

Reactions: StihlKicking
I just heard that with the right wife, it doesn't matter what maul you have.

I've been doimg it wrong all these years...
Careful, there, jetsam. After six months of it, she'll in the best shape of her life:

before.jpg

... but five years and forty cords later, she winds up here:

after.jpg

Splitting wood is hard on all of us.

Last edited: