Splitting wet wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone_Gun

Oct 30, 2015
Spokane, WA
I was splitting a pile of green, wet Pine last week and was amazed at how much water was running out. I've seen water come out in a light spray, but this stuff was like a faucet. Never seen anything like it! Typically I split standing dead trees, so this splitting of green wet wood is new to me.

Last edited:
Have to agree, with pine anyway, that frozen is better.....LOL
That said, not all wood is created the same :eek:, I have seen oak do the very same thing.

Reactions: Jeffm1
When it doesn't split green, I wait a few months and try again, But frozen has always worked well.

As said above I have seen oak and maple where the water pours out while splitting. Kind of amazing there is that much water in it.

It's a mild winter here this year and all the snow in town has melted. I may have to wait a bit to try splitting it frozen. Thanks

Poplar will do the same thing. After just a couple rounds, the cradle/beam is soaking wet on my splitter. Fresh split is measuring 50% moisture, so high, I'm not even sure it's accurate anymore.

Doesn't matter though: in a year or two, it will be well seasoned and ready for the firepit roasting some weenies or marshmellows!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
A moisture meter is on my bucket list this year. No one in my family has ever used one, so I'll be curious to see some readings from our wood pile and see just how well seasoned it is.

A moisture meter is on my bucket list this year. No one in my family has ever used one, so I'll be curious to see some readings from our wood pile and see just how well seasoned it is.
I picked one up last summer. Like you, I had never heard of such a thing. Lots of fun and really interesting. I tested everything.
Hint... The wife has no sense of humor when trying the moisture meter on her.

I'm not sure my wife's sense of humor would be any better if I tried something like that with her. I think I'll hold off on that. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.