Spray foam vs DIY Roxul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nick123

Jun 5, 2013
Central NY
Hey everyone,

Just want to get some input. Slowly but surely insulating this house. I opened up an exposed porch ceiling and found a cavity with un-insulated walls walls and floors. Got a quote of 1200 for closed cell foam (3 inched on walls and 4 inches under floor). Also considering going DIY and using foil faced board and r 15 roxul on walls/ foil board and r-23 roxul on under exposed floors. I would be insulating the walls from the back side hence why i'm using foam board vs regular vapor barrier. Would I get a better result with spray foam?

Thanks Nick

Sorry I can't directly answer your question. I was at a high rise building site that was spraying all the exterior wall cavities. It really seals everything in the wall. It looked like a simple process. If you are doing a lot of it you might be able to buy or rent equipment to do it yourself.

A comparison of the "R" values of each would be where I would start. It would be hard to seal the boards to be as tight as the spray. Any issues with insects getting in this stuff?

Whats the cost difference? I suspect you may only be saving a few $100 bucks.

Check the Green Room forum, lots of insulation threads over there.

Id lean towards the spray foam assuming its no additional work on your part. Insulation has to be done very well to actually achieve the R value stated. Ive been adding insulation in my basement XPS glued on the walls with drywall ontop. Its a slow process and very tedious. I would have opted for spray foam but I didnt want to have to put up 2*4's and then drywall I have lots of obstructions as well that can not be moved for someone to spray.

I would be most concerned about preventing ice daming with what ever you choose.

I did most of my house regular paperback insulation, but we had our crawl space done with spray foam. If I had to do it all over again I would of did it all spray foam. Even though on the exterior walls we have a vapor barrier you can still feel a draft on windy nights. With the foam nothing comes through at all.

Got a quote of 1200 for closed cell foam (3 inched on walls and 4 inches under floor)
Not sure how many sq ft you had quoted but I had ~1800 sq ft of open cell (IIRC) foam pumped into my 2x4 stud walls for $2400.
It was a big improvement over nothing but I overlooked the 2% shrinkage that they openly admitted would happen as it cured...2% of a 14.5" stud cavity is actually a pretty good gap, so much for the air sealing advantage of "spray" foam.
If I had it to do over again I would have went with cementacious foam (Air Krete is the local brand) at about twice the cost. All the same advantages of regular foam plus,
mold proof
fireproof
0% shrinkage
better sound proofing
no toxic off-gassing
Bug/rodent proof
no settling
higher R value than foam
not future hazmat waste (green)

My 2 cents...

Reactions: Wisneaky
If I had it to do over again I would have went with cementacious foam (Air Krete is the local brand) at about twice the cost. All the same advantages of regular foam plus,

I built a cellular concrete rig for a local company this past spring... while this was for geotechnical uses, the concept is more or less the same. neat product....

Status
Not open for further replies.