Spring Cleaning Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Today I went up on the roof and ran a brush down the chimney, came up with about 1 quart of very light powdery soot. Then I cleaned out the pipe, and vacuumed out the stove. I like to sweep in the Spring so I don't get that occasional soot smell in the summer. The firewood is all cut, split and stacked in the new wood shed. Now I'm ready for summer.

Had a fire last night and will have one tonight, going into the thirties, and I think after that it is all over for this year. Supposed to be in the mid to high eighties this weekend. But since that is unseasonable here, who knows what happens next.

Sometime in the next few weeks I will drag out the brush.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll have a few more evening fires. It can be 75 like it is today and a couple days later we are back in the 40's. I probably should of waited a couple more weeks, but I just felt like doing it today so I did.

Murphy calculator = Louisville Slugger, generously applied about noggin.

My wife got anxious and checked the chimney two days ago. Nothing to be cleaned yet, so it has been a long, long times since we've cleaned the chimney. It was new in 2007 and still looks new.

As for the wood, my stacking came to a halt when the back and neck flared up. I should have had everything stacked by now but, I'm just slow this year. Feeling better now so might get busy at it soon.

The weatherman said we would see 80 on Saturday but now has changed that to 74 but with some pretty strong winds and no sunshine it probably won't feel all that warm. Then it is back to some cool weather again next week. I have a feeling May might not be so hot either. Hope I am wrong.

I don't trust the weatherman. I will bet that I haven't seen the last fire of the season yet. I figure July is pretty safe for the cleaning.

Highs in the 50's tomorrow and lows next week into the 30's. It's 84 degrees right now. There's always
weather to talk about in the Midwest.

Jags said:
I don't trust the weatherman. I will bet that I haven't seen the last fire of the season yet. I figure July is pretty safe for the cleaning.

That sounds about right to me.

Its May 15th in these parts. That's when you plant your tomatoes and I guess when you can clean the stove and chimney. On May 14 it could still be 40* at night, on May 16 it wont drop below 55* until mid Sept.

I had an old retired United Air pilot lived next to me and I'll never forget him. He was rather wealthy, had a place in Rockville Md., one in Florida, and the "cabin" on 12 acres next to me. He'd dress like a bum, plant one HECK of a garden, and drank lots of beer.

Oh, he burned firewood too.

Name was Bob.

Bob was once heard to say (and this is in South Central PA) "Jesus Chris......, had to make fire in JUNE!"

Status
Not open for further replies.