Squirrel call

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I keep one on top of the refrigerator.

Every once in a while when I see it, and the kid isn't in the room, I let out a call. She'll come tearing in, demanding to know what the noise was, and how to make it. I claim I didn't hear a noise and continue wiping the counter, pouring a glass of milk, etc. She thinks I make the noise with my hands.

Thinking back, I think this has been going on for around 2 years.

It's way more entertaining in my house than it ever was in the woods.

I keep one on top of the refrigerator.

Every once in a while when I see it, and the kid isn't in the room, I let out a call. She'll come tearing in, demanding to know what the noise was, and how to make it. I claim I didn't hear a noise and continue wiping the counter, pouring a glass of milk, etc. She thinks I make the noise with my hands.

Thinking back, I think this has been going on for around 2 years.

It's way more entertaining in my house than it ever was in the woods

Thanks for reminding me of one of my Mothers sayings
" Small things amuse small minds"
But Funny :cool:

I talk to the red squirrels with quarters. I've figured out how to imitate their sounds when eating and they usually come to see what I have.

Thanks for reminding me of one of my Mothers sayings
" Small things amuse small minds"
But Funny :cool:

I'm very easily amused!

Reactions: SpaceBus
I talk to the red squirrels with quarters. I've figured out how to imitate their sounds when eating and they usually come to see what I have.

I used to do a really good alarm call for reds with the above call.

I'll have to listen to them eating and try your quarter trick. How do you do it?

I used to do a really good alarm call for reds with the above call.

I'll have to listen to them eating and try your quarter trick. How do you do it?
I rasp the edges in my cupped hands and sometimes banging them perpendicular. My wife found a video of a guy that could do alarm calls too. There are a ton around my house, so plenty to practice on. I wish there were grays here, reds aren't big enough to eat!

I've cleaned reds. There isn't much there, but as you said, there are a lot of them out there.

Wish someone around here ate them. They are not native, but moved into our area about 5-6 yrs ago. They displace our smaller native Douglas Squirrel pretty quickly.

I hear them fighting all the time. Stealing each other's cones I assume.

Wish someone around here ate them. They are not native, but moved into our area about 5-6 yrs ago. They displace our smaller native Douglas Squirrel pretty quickly.
The older Italians eat them, any in your area?

My wife... :) and she is not about to eat squirrel.