Squirrels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A few years back my wife went into the bathroom upstairs and then let out a blood curtling stream as she was face to face with a fat, gray squirrel sitting on the sink top.

She yelled at me to do something. First thought that came to me was to toss in one of our cats and yell "Get 'im Theodore Roosevel!" at which point my wife yelled at me to not kill the poor, scared thing. So long story short I ended up using a plastic laundry basket like a shield and a bath towel like a gladiator's net to ensnare and then trap the poor beast. I then released him outside . . . only to discover either he or one of his kin folks were back a day later.

I eventually ended up catching three or four of the wee beasts before I discovered where they were entering the attic and then coming through the bathroom vent. After I fixed the bathroom vent -- and more importantly fixed the attic vent -- I had no further problems. Now the squirrels -- gray or red -- and I happily co-exist with them eating the spilled bird seed on the ground near the base of the bird feeder and building nests in my woodshed.