SS Flue liner???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
Im installing a VC Vigilant in front of a fireplace with a steel heatilator (spelling?) clearance is an issue. so im wanting to connect the stove to a clay liner at the bottom of the chimney using a short section of flexible SS flue liner does anyone know if the oval ss liner 8" will fit the oval flue collar on my VC Vigilant stove. Yes i know liner to the top would be ideal but I dont have $700 to do it this way right now.

I installed a full ss liner a month ago. Cost $500 on-line for 25ft of 6 inch round with adapter and top plate and cap.
I bet you need an appliance adapter to connect the flex to your stove.

You will need an appliance adapter to connect the liner to the stove. There will be a manual online somewhere with the "how to" specifying the liner sizes etc for the Vigilant.

As well, you will require a block off plate with the "direct connect" that you are planning - any creosote that builds up and falls will go down beyond the liner and into the firebox if not - you will also need to remove the liner and block off plate each year to clean the flue, or else the creosote will pile up on top after you sweep, and eventually you will have a fire in the chiney around the partial liner - so be ready to tear it all out every time you sweep, which should be more often than just every spring.

A full liner is better and safer - but I guess your mind is made up - so at least look into the specifics of a "direct connect" to make it as safe as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.