SS Liner stuck 3/4 way down the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
Its a straight shot about 25 foot down the chimney then it makes about a 10 degree turn one way followed by a 10 degree turn in the opposite direction. I think it got stuck on the first turn. I can lift the liner up and push downwards as hard as I feel safe but at 40' in the air with just a ladder I can feel the rest of the liner swinging around and it is a bit unnerving. I decided it was too much for what I am comfortable with so I was going to call a professional. Who will be willing to come out and just get the liner the rest of the way in? I don't mind doing the rest but it probably won't take but 15 minutes for anyone who knows what they are doing. What should I do?

Do you have a pulling cone on the liner or at least have the bottom end mashed into a cone shape with a rope attached to pull it through? Are you trying to install it by yourself or is their one person on top feeding it down with another at the bottom pulling it through?

Try rotating the tube from the top, until it clears. By nature these things are bent one direction or another.... So by rotating I managed to get mine past my turn without difficulty....

BrotherBart said:
Do you have a pulling cone on the liner or at least have the bottom end mashed into a cone shape with a rope attached to pull it through? Are you trying to install it by yourself or is their one person on top feeding it down with another at the bottom pulling it through?
All those ideas would have required forethought. I thought you knew me better than that.

Rockey said:
BrotherBart said:
All those ideas would have required forethought. I thought you knew me better than that.

They were rhetorical questions. :lol:

I feel your pain. I stabbed both of my liners by myself. Well, the second was by myself after I asked my neighbor to please stop helping before he got me killed.

sl7vk said:
Try rotating the tube from the top, until it clears. By nature these things are bent one direction or another.... So by rotating I managed to get mine past my turn without difficulty....

I tried that. Thats when it got downright scary, with 10' of stainless steel liner swinging around and me feeling like i was going to fall off the ladder.

Glowball Worming Bustierre said:
LIVE & LEARN FOREMOST

I got the first part down pat, its the latter(or should I say ladder) that gives me fits.

Ok I took a peek up the chimney with a flashlight. It is simply hung up on the mortar between the clay liner sections. I'm going back up and am going to get this thing down by spwiveling it around as sl7vk mentioned. If I dont make it back to post - you'll know why.

Good news - Swiveling it worked. Bad news - its 3 feet short from reaching the bottom. Either they sold me a 25' kit instead of a 30' or I measured wrong.

Slip the top plate on that puppy and clamp it until you figure out where to get a piece of pipe or liner for the top. You don't want it slipping down out of reach.

Either that or wrap a piece of rope around it and tie it off.

So should I buy a section of pipe and stick it between the top plate and the top pf the liner? I need another 44"

Rockey said:
...I need another 44"

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, I forgot Craig's recent admonition. Rick

Rockey said:
So should I buy a section of pipe and stick it between the top plate and the top pf the liner? I need another 44"

S'what I would do. The liner places sell sleeves for joining two sections of liner. I would buy a length of stainless pipe and pop rivet a sleeve to the liner and the piece of pipe to the sleeve. Either that or a piece of liner and a sleeve. If you get liner, get plenty. You still have to reach down to the stove.

Stainless pop rivets might be in order here, as well. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.