SS re-lined chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atvdave

Dec 12, 2008
Newburgh, IN
Hey all. When I got my insert installed I also got my chimney re-lined. It was a warm day today to I decided to take a look to see how much build-up I have after a little over a month burn. It was a bit dirty but nothing real bad, just less than 1/8" of build-up that breaks away with a simple touch of the finger.

However what I did notice is the flex SS liner seamed kinda thin to me. I don't know the thickness of it but I'm worried that a stiff sweep brush would rip or damage it. The one's they sold at Lowe's where the stiff wire type, and the flex rod they sold with it didn't seam that flexible either.

So... I'm I just being to paranoid, or is there a better way for my type of liner?

I was also looking at a product called "sooteater" talked about on this thread. Would this be a better bet for me? I HAVE NEVER cleaned a chimney before so any in-put would be helpful.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29842/
http://gardusinc.com/sooteater/

That liner is a lot tougher than it looks. Brush away! Poly brushes are suggested for liners but a lot of sweeps use steel on'em.

And why are you going to need a lot of flex in the rods?

BrotherBart said:
And why are you going to need a lot of flex in the rods?

From where my insert flue is located, it makes a approx. 30 degree bend forward to go through my old chimney damper opening, then bends back about 30 to 45 degrees dew to a brick ledge built inside of the chimney, then bent straight up going to the top of my chimney.

Clean it like I do mine. Tie a rope onto a brush, drop the rope from the top down into the firebox and go down and pull the brush and the crud down into the firebox. Lot easier than with rods.

Thats a very good idea.... I never thought of that.

Thanks

:cheese:

My father knew a brickmason who was "old school". He used to tell us to just grab the nearest chicken by one leg. Carry it up a ladder with a rope and climb to the top of the roof where the chimney is.

Tie the rope to the chicken's leg, and drop it down the chimney. Lower it slowly until the rope goes slack, then pull it back up nice and slow.

By the time the chicken comes back out, the chimney will be as clean as whistle.

;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think that I will be trying this... but it's worth a laugh.

Hey, atvdave,

<>Hey all. When I got my insert installed I also got my chimney re-lined. It was a warm day today to I decided to take a look to see how much build-up I have after a little over a month burn. It was a bit dirty but nothing real bad, just less than 1/8" of build-up that breaks away with a simple touch of the finger.<>

That's a sign you're burning your insert correctly, 1/8" is nothing to worry about...

<>However what I did notice is the flex SS liner seamed kinda thin to me. I don't know the thickness of it but I'm worried that a stiff sweep brush would rip or damage it. The one's they sold at Lowe's where the stiff wire type, and the flex rod they sold with it didn't seam that flexible either. <>

Standard for the SS liners is .006" (six thousandths of an inch) They are quite durable & will withstand a steel brush...

<>So... I'm I just being to paranoid, or is there a better way for my type of liner?<>

You're being paranoid, but you're also heating your home with fire...It's like riding a motorcycle, soon as you feel yo're an expert, you're gonna get it shoved up yer...
When I had my I3100 I used to clean my own liner - with 6" round STEEL brush...I'd scrub the top couple of feet, pull it to the top & drop it...where it stopped, I'd scrub a couple of times & pull it to the top & drop it again. I'd repeat until the brush head made it to the damper area & scrub a bit & pull it out...
I'd then remove the tubes & baffles & vacuum the crap out of the firebox...I'd look up the bottom of the liner using a leadlight & a mirror & it NEVER had much in it...

<>I was also looking at a product called "sooteater" talked about on this thread. Would this be a better bet for me? I HAVE NEVER cleaned a chimney before so any in-put would be helpful.<>

Never used em, but we sell lots of em at the store, so somebody thinks they work!

Status
Not open for further replies.