Stûv America - new contemporary stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Stûv is a Belgian stove company that now sells in North America. Their designs are contemporary and are EPA approved. The 30-compact has an intriguing 330 pound accumulator at the top surrounding the flue. This borrows from masonry stove construction and is said to release heat back into the room for 8 hrs. It has a nifty door that has 3 positions - open, glass and closed accumulator. The last position has a metal door with a small, thin viewport.
http://stuvamerica.com/en/

While new to us, Stûv has been making stoves since the 1980s. These stoves and fireplaces work by convection air only and in the European style are room and area heaters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squisher
Very cool stuff i dont know how usefull it is but the fact that the one swivels is just really cool

That is a cool find BG. Interesting way they added thermal mass above. Guess the amount of heat transferred to it relative to time is minimal enough that it avoids becoming a creosote factory.

Buy it while you can, the Euro is creeping up and that usually means the European stuff get priced out to the market.

Buy it while you can, the Euro is creeping up and that usually means the European stuff get priced out to the market.
It's already quite pricey. Interesting that I didn't notice any price drop over the past year when the Euro was down, did you?

I like it! The Euro look. It is a long way from my Jotul 500 but I like it.

I was not watching that pricing but sure noticed it when I buy Unimog parts.

I saw their products at the trade show in Atlanta. Extremely high end stuff here!

Last edited:
Really neat. Thanks for posting that.

Very cool. Setting the wood in vertically like that is interesting. I wonder if they fall over at all? Must be a reason they designed it that way..?

A lot of European stoves burn vertically now.

Plus you can cook weinerschnitzel

Probably not . . . weiner schnitzel is typically pan fried . . . here in the U.S. we usually call our version "pounded veal" or "pounded pork" (although technically weiner schnitzel in its pure form is always veal, not pork.

That poor lady apparently spent all of her money on a stove, single chair and book . . . not a single picture, painting, plant or even a second chair in the whole place. A bit austere looking.

Reactions: drstorm
Going off the cuff here, but does anyone remember the euro stove that you can make a fire in then you turn the by-pass and it shoots the flame down to a reburn chamber (which also has a water jacket option) ?

Probably not . . . weiner schnitzel is typically pan fried . . . here in the U.S. we usually call our version "pounded veal" or "pounded pork" (although technically weiner schnitzel in its pure form is always veal, not pork.
Yes, that looks more like Vienna sausage or frankfurter würstchen
That poor lady apparently spent all of her money on a stove, single chair and book . . . not a single picture, painting, plant or even a second chair in the whole place. A bit austere looking.
A lot of these photo shoots occur in a studio. Not many stoves have a backlight like in the video.

Yes, that looks more like Vienna sausage or frankfurter würstchen

A lot of these photo shoots occur in a studio. Not many stoves have a backlight like in the video.

So true. I’ve seen pictures of a Jøtul castine in a living room with no chimney or anything hooked up. But the fire through the glass sure looked nice!

That's why they have schweineschnitzel. The germans can fry any kind of meat. Or make it into sausage.

Reactions: tarzan
Stuv price list July 2014, it is a pdf:

http://www.woodburningstoves.com/sites/default/files/price_lists/stuv-price-list.pdf

The 30 Compact is the only one they sell in the USA so far, it is $4000.
That pricelist is for the UK and are in pounds sterling + 20%VAT. I called the Stûv dealer closest to us and was quoted $5475 for the 30 compact and $6475 for the 30 compact H. Out of my price league, but so is a Porsche. According to the dealer, Stûv America is selling the full catalog in the US, though not all models are stocked in Montreal, just their most popular stoves.