St.Croix Auburn Vacuum Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireCapt

Jan 2, 2018
Ohio
My St Croix Auburn has been giving me major headaches with the flashing #2 light. I have cleaned the stove, replaced all the door gaskets, replaced the combustion fan, reset switch, vacuum switch, vacuum hose, and proof of fire. Yet my stove still shuts down at start up and flashes a #2 vacuum error. I over rode the vacuum switch and it ran perfectly. Could I have received a bad vacuum switch? Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

It is possible but rare. Try taking the vack hose off the switch and blowing through it. It may be blocked inside the port.

Could be a bad switch and measuring voltage across it would confirm that, or disconnect wires to switch and read ohms across contacts to see if it's closing contacts properly.

I suspect the stove is ashed up within the hidden exhaust channels. I would hook up a leaf blower on exhaust pipe with door open to see if it sucks out blockages.

Reactions: heat seeker
I suspect the stove is ashed up within the hidden exhaust channels. I would hook up a leaf blower on exhaust pipe with door open to see if it sucks out blockages.
I second that

Looks like I'll be sending my wife to buy a leaf blower! Unfortunately I am on shift for the next couple days- but I will try your suggestions when I get home. Thanks for the fast response and I'll keep you updated.

Also get a long brush (1" diameter tube brush about 18" long) and run it up the ash traps a ton of stuff will drop out. I had a Auburn yesterday that was flashing #2. Tested at .1" WC. I cleaned stove out brushed out ash traps. Brush will come out the top by heat exchanger tubes. Shook out pot floor, vacced junk out of 3 holes where pot floor mates up. Retested at back at a .3 WC where it should be. I had not even got to the leaf blower suck out at that point yet.

Just wanted to update everyone and let you know I cleaned my stove with a leaf blower and a 18" brush like suggested and it's finally up and running again! I appreciate all your help- I was pretty frustrated. Thank you.

Also get a long brush (1" diameter tube brush about 18" long) and run it up the ash traps a ton of stuff will drop out. I had a Auburn yesterday that was flashing #2. Tested at .1" WC. I cleaned stove out brushed out ash traps. Brush will come out the top by heat exchanger tubes. Shook out pot floor, vacced junk out of 3 holes where pot floor mates up. Retested at back at a .3 WC where it should be. I had not even got to the leaf blower suck out at that point yet.
Do this 3 times per winter and it will run like a champ. These are the things that make these stoves run great. The suggested choke cable thing is a waste of time. The st croix manual gives very poor cleaning instructions.