St. Croix Auburn vs. St. Croix Prescott..what's the difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rxwoman1961

Feeling the Heat
Oct 12, 2020
SE Nebraska
Hi, I have googled this question and no one seems to have an answer. My choices are to drive 2 and 1/2 hours each way and buy a used Auburn that a gal said she would take $600 for. Or I can buy a refurbished Prescott for $1400 including shipping! That's kind of a big selling point for me since I have to borrow a girlfriends pickup, load it, drive back and unload it, and then hope there's nothing wrong with it if I buy the cheaper Auburn. Ugh.
I was really hoping for an Auburn, but what's the difference between the two?

Thank you.

They look almost the same but run very different. Auburn is multi-fuel and no igniter, whereas the Prescott is mainly a pellet stove and lights on it's own. Both are great stoves once you learn how to clean them well.

Hi,
well I ended up driving 4.5 hours each way! I guy in Iowa had an Auburn he listed for $300. So girlfriend with a pickup and I drove to the other side of Iowa and I now have a 2006 St. Croix Auburn sitting in my living room. What a kick in the head to find out it was made about 30 minutes away from me in Waco Nebraska!
Anyway, I wanted an Auburn because I read good things about them and they're supposed to be multi-fuel. However, inside the hopper lid of mine says "Corn only". Were Auburns made to burn corn only?? And is there a way to convert it to wood pellets? Mine doesn't have an auto igniter and there's no hearth stone back wall. It's all metal. I was hoping to be able to burn what ever is cheapest and/or easiest to acquire. Thank you for any help.

No reason not to burn pellets in a Auburn . You start the fire with pellets to burn corn or pellets either one. The Auburn is very simple and very little to go wrong.. it is very efficient and is known to wring more heat out of the fuel then other very expensive stoves. Best advice is google St Croix and find the manual for the Auburn and make a copy. Then pay attention to how to clean it as it is a little tricky. If you have a straight out the back exhaust you can hook a leaf blower to the end of your exhaust and suck the soot right out of the stove. Just be sure you unhook the vacuum line before you do it

Reactions: Rxwoman1961