St Croix clunkers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a St Croix Element. Had it for now 6 seasons. Went from burning Okie Golds (2 seasons) to Okie DF's (and didn't look back, until..)

This is the second season, 3rd ton of running Cubex. Had to switch with what happened with Okie..

Last season burned fine and cleaning went as usual. I like the Cubex, well now I wonder.

With my local supply going dry as I needed, I went to the Big Box store and bought 10 bags. Here the issue showed up. 1/2" of solid clunker in the pot.

I have my Cubex now, re-cleaned the stove, and still have that solid clunker showing up.

Cleaned the flue, opened up the ports for cleaning and gave it a run, just like my EOS cleaning. Still have the solid clunker.. Adjusted air flow, No Joy... Took it off the thermostat, No Joy.. I've gone through all the settings I can think of, still No Joy..

I'm missing something.. Did a minor adjustment when I switched from soft wood to hardwood pellets last season. I am missing cleaning something that those crap pellets filled.

Anyone have a St Croix that has gone through this?

Anyone have a suggestion of what else to check?

I'd start with running a bottle brush up back wall (thru ash traps), then use leaf blower to suck ash out exhaust with stove door open. Reset intake air valve to thickness of standard wood pencil, see if it burns better. Guessing it's a bit ashed up internally.

I'd start with running a bottle brush up back wall (thru ash traps), then use leaf blower to suck ash out exhaust with stove door open. Reset intake air valve to thickness of standard wood pencil, see if it burns better. Guessing it's a bit ashed up internally.

Would you find that any different from using my hose to run up there? I did think of using a whip stick (for lack of a better term), basically a weed wacker line I have that is rather stiff. Though of putting in the drill and pushing that up there.

I just pulled out the diagram of the stove to see the Chanels and lengths.

I do have a long bottle brush and give that a go as well. Heck, I'll try anything at this point.

Some use cut garden hoses attached to vacuum to clean back wall.

For small clean outs next to burn pot I've used clothes hangers, choke cables, and small drain trap cleaners. Choke cable probably best.

Leaf blower exhaust when your done.

Leaf blower and brushing the back wall thru the ash traps is what keeps St Croixs alive! I have taken a draft reading at start up before and after. Typically if stove still burns but burns badly draft is approx. .1-.2. After brush and leaf blower it comes up to .3. I look for a .3 when i unhook vac switch and hook hose directly to my guage on the initial full power to fan when you first turn stove on. it only takes .1 I think to close vac switch

Update: Re-cleaned as usual EOS. Not much came out. Brushed up through and ran again. Not much came through.

Here's when I say I have never used a leaf blower before and always chuckled at you guys doing so.

I'm not anymore! I'm sold on it!
OMG! Really, I left that much behind???

Giving a run again to see where I'm at now.

Thanks all for the help.

Olddawgs can learn new tricks :):):). It is amazing when you think you have a white glove clean stove, what really is left behind. Lol

I can thoroughly clean my stove then run the leaf blower until airstream is clean and then go inside (with the leaf blower still running) and use an impact drill with a piece of hardwood dowl in the chuck pressed hard against the back wall of my firebox and still get a huge black cloud of soot out the leaf blower.

I can thoroughly clean my stove then run the leaf blower until airstream is clean and then go inside (with the leaf blower still running) and use an impact drill with a piece of hardwood dowl in the chuck pressed hard against the back wall of my firebox and still get a huge black cloud of soot out the leaf blower.
And yet another new idea! thanks!