St Croix Prescott help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes, sorry, autospell function on phone and me not checking spelling 100% of time can give erroneous results for sure.

Anyways, still wondering if th ed POF disk is closing contact or not when warmed up. Should give #3 error if not working properly.

I've replaced a Triac on a Prescott before which had fan issue. Can be done if you can isolate device, remove it, purchase new one, and solder.

Fan running beautifully with the POF jumped over. I also found the unplugged ignitor wire. So, new POF? Should I get a new Vacuum switch while I'm at it? I'm not sure if it's working or not, I forgot I was still jumped over it and the stove is across the drive from any living quarters.

I would replace both switches

Both switches replaced and it appears no difference. One thing I noticed this time is, no matter which POF switch is in line, I can’t change the heat level off level 1. With the POF jumped, the level can be adjusted to any setting. The fire is higher when it’s on a higher level and the auger feeds more frequently to keep up. Even on max and the fan running, it doesn’t seem like much heat comes out the vent. I can stand in front of it indefinitely. My MVAE in the house, you can’t keep your hand in front of the vent more than a few seconds it’s so hot.

I wouldn’t compare the st croix to the quad, thats Apples to oranges. When most stoves are in start-up mode you can’t change heat settings, after 10-15 min you should be able to. If the flame hight changes with the settings it is doing what it’s supposed to. What does the flame look like? Busy bright orange/yellow or dark orange/black sooty tips?

The only thing I was referencing the Quad about was the heat output. Even 30 minutes after startup, the St Croix’s heat output is minimal, even with a roaring flame and the POF jumped over.

Check the temperature of the air exiting the stove. I have an enviro maxx and on low i can hold my hand 4” from the tubes indefinitely but on 5 i can feel hot air 25ft. All i was getting at is you cant compare 2 stoves if they are not identical and have the same parameters and fuel. How clean are the heat exchangers and is the convection blower clean and working good?

Room temp when I got in was 46. The stove on low, POF still jumped and I could immediately change the temp to anywhere I wanted it. Put it back on 1. After 20 minutes of burning the air temp coming out the vents was 113. Turned it up to Max and the highest it got was 148, but it stayed around 138 most of the time. After an hour I put one of the thermometers on the back wall, 18' from the stove. Temp was high 50s. At 2 hrs it was at and stayed at 66-68. The outside temp is 41. Problems solved. Or so I thought. Filled the hopper once the temp got and stayed in the mid 60s. Did some other things, then noticed the flame was dying/dead. Up until this point I'd been adding a couple of handful of pellets as needed. Dug all the pellets out of the hopper and we're back to square one.

Low and Max flame settings.

Attachments

• IMG_20191103_111906665_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191103_111906665_HDR.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20191103_113819587_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191103_113819587_HDR.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 172
ok i've gone back and re read this whole thread. back in the first posts you said you "cleaned the stove, maybe" i think there is some congestion still in the stove or the combustion motor is weak and pulls just enough air to close the switch but not enough to get a good clean burning flame. or the control board has an issue either timing or voltages. the last pics you posted don't look like a good busy flame.

ok here is the manual check page 11 you need to adjust the damper

i thought it was working, is it not feeding again?

That was the back to square one comment. A buddy who's been a maintenance guy for decades mentioned the possibility a bushing may be worn, allowing slop in the auger and pellets getting wedged. He was just spitballing when we bumped into each other at morning coffee a couple of weeks ago.

well that could be a real posability. Have you played with the damper at all?

its on the fresh air intake tube, little rod. stove will run like chit if it's closed

It was fully closed. Now its fully open. Put the channel locks on the auger collar, turned a bit and now its spinning again. Got a bag of the Energex I've burned for years in the house. There was a full bag of something in the stove when I got it. Included pictures of the two.

Fired the stove up with all sensors connected and air intake open. Fans both come right on. Convection shuts off, but never came back on. Can't change heat level or operate auger anywhere during the cycle. Heat level stays on 1 the whole time. Picture of flame at about 20 minutes. No more pellets get fed, no convection fan comes on, flame dies, stove shuts down. Light goes to 3. Unplug and replug stove, hit start, fan blows good heat for a few seconds, but the stove shuts down quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_113039029_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191109_113039029_HDR.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20191109_111437946_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191109_111437946_HDR.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 165
Let it set for a while, jumped the POF switch and hit start. It ran for about 5 minutes on 1, before shutting off, flashing 3. The flame right before it shut down.

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_123346442_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191109_123346442_HDR.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 164
Another possibility is a bad triac within control board which supplies current to fan motor. Can be fixed for like $5 if you have the skills.
Any detail on this? Location, part#? I do board repairs on 40 year old & newer pinball machines. I have both a Hakko soldering station & desoldering station.

the layout of the prescott board but if you repair logic boards for pinballs you got this. I marked the triacs with green. i don't know which one is for the convection blower

prescottboard.jpg

there is no schematics. look on the part, part number is printed on it. the boards are made by APPCONX, they make board for breckwell, Kozi, Enviro, many others. they will not release schematics.

I thought it was 1835-600C, but after googling a bit it may be T835-600G. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_121502380.jpg
    IMG_20191117_121502380.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20191117_121522110.jpg
    IMG_20191117_121522110.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20191117_121531146.jpg
    IMG_20191117_121531146.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 111
yes its just like alot of Appconx boards, T835-600G.

this is the replacement
triac.jpg

I'm tapping out. Replaced all 4 Triacs, no difference. Just ordered a Castle Serenity from Tractor Supply for $899 with an extra $200 kick back from the credit card I used. Thanks for all the input. Anyone know anyone who wants a St. Croix Prescott with a bit of a problem? I'm sure it's probably only a fuse. :)